Optical comparator for donation

Tim and I were thinking this can be stored until we get more space then we can properly use it with dust control/shield around it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never actually used an optical comparator, just have a general idea of them. In my understanding, they are good for production work as you can quickly qc parts by comparing them to an already prepared template of the part and itā€™s tolerances, correct? I wonder itā€™s practical uses at makerspace where we generally donā€™t run large production runs of parts where the time saving would offset the time required to make the templates.

Not trying to be a naysayer, I think itā€™s an awesome piece of equipment. I just wonder how I can use it, because is like to play with it too. How is it used on parts that arenā€™t part of a large production run? Or am I completely mistaken on how these are generally used?

3 Likes

Are we talking off-site storage or dusty corner?

Off-site storageā€¦

Thank you Eric Brunner for getting this equipment for the Space. Well done, as usual.

1 Like

Great! Iā€™m a little confused where talk of the surface grinder came from. Is it an additional component in the optical comparator? The offer from Renaissance Machine is only for an optical comparator as far I know.

If someone with the proper transportation will volunteer then Iā€™ll put them in touch with the ownerā€¦ no need to be playing 4 degrees of telephone. Iā€™m told they are a start early and check out by 4 type shop so thatā€™s when pick up should be arranged.

We have another member whoā€™s company is willing to donate a surface grinder. Thatā€™s why the talk.

Just got off the phone with the owner. He knows we want it and are looking to transport it. Itā€™s missing a bulb but he might have a replacementā€¦ I wasnā€™t clear on this. He also has some templates for it. Told him about DMS and heā€™s likely to come check us out and possibly has other equipment to donate.

It sounds like anyone with a truck and 4 heavy straps will do for transporting it. They have a lift to load it but it sounds like a few guys will be needed to unload it. As soon as yā€™all have a volunteer to pick it up let me know I will send you the ownerā€™s contact info.

2 Likes

We do have some good straps available on the shelves near the gantry, please feel free to use any/all of them.

1 Like

Use the gantry?
a1b2c3etc

1 Like

Fantastic. If he comes here I think heā€™ll be impressed.

We can get bulbs, if he has templates that great also. Thank you for reaching out to him.

@Team_Machine_Shop Need help help transporting this!

@Shawn_Christian and I (and our trucks) are tied up with Texas Pinball Festival this week through probably Monday.

2 Likes

Did we ever actually get the optical comparator. Not sure iā€™ve seen it.

Not as of yet.