Optical comparator for donation

Renaissance Machine, located at 3600 Noble Ave in Ft Worth, has an optical comparator for donation if machine shop is interested. The thing likely weighs around 750 lbs. and will need to be transported with four of the strongest straps and transportation with proper tie down points. If y’all are interested please let me know in the next few days and I’ll pass along the contact information. @Photomancer seemed enthused by the prospect.

2 Likes

Do you by chance have a model number - these appears to be a much larger unit that I’m used to being around. But Yes, interested. This a great piece of inspection equipment.

2 Likes

Let me give the owner a ring and see if I can get that information

!

Will need to take this up at next committee meeting. A lot of members may not know what this tool does. Will also have to find out what various grids are available and the cost. I’m assuming the optics are still there, in reasonable shape, as well as working light source, bulb may be needed but otherwise OK. If not will have to see what those cost. I’ve not seen one that is cast iron before - but that would help entire stability of mirrors and optics. This is the type I’ve used in the past, weight 125#

I will inquire about those and let the owner know to expect an answer come Mar. 26th. Plz let me know if anything is decided early.

1 Like

now THAT is a nice toy. there are lots of uses for measuring accuracy with one of these.

1 Like

No promises if it will still be available by then. I’m 2 degrees removed from the donor and don’t know the full situation about it.

If you want it Nick, we just need to arrange a way to get to the DMS. Would love to get it. Foot print isn’t that big. Too bad we don’t have space next to Machine Shop, say about the 7’ x 9’ there abouts give or take a foot either way, with door, for an inspection room! Nothing in mind, just sayin’:wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

well I hear hatchers isn’t being used. JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING!!
I think this would be a great addition to the shop. if we can clear out the corner where the carts are there would be room.

2 Likes

I second that, it would be great to have. I think we could find a way to fit it in.

Pantograph… it’s time.

3 Likes

We would really like to find another 501c to take it. Otherwise anyone want to make us an offer?

How are you going to control the mess and air borne contaminates this tool produces?

Surface grinders put out a fine fine dust, it gets over all sorts of things and sticks, particularly when it’s located near other tools. The abrasive and grindings are themselves are are wet from the coolant so they stick to things. The mills and lathes have precision ground surfaces, e.g. such as the ways, since they also use coolant and oils, this abrasive dust, and is truly and literally is an abrasive will coat these surfaces and cause excessive wear.

Surface grinders are specialized tools, they are absolutely great at what they do, but I would not recommend we use one where we are now. Get the machine, store it, when we get a new location and have the floor space it can be better isolated with partitions and exhaust fans to pull the airborne p[articulates through filters. If you’ve been around surface grinders then you’ve seen the “rooster tail” of sparks that come off, part of this is will result is vaporized coolant carry this fine particles into the air. You also know how gritty shop is around these tools in unless they are in a machine enclosure.

Grinding operations typically are separated for other machining operations for anything that requires being clean. It’s a grinder, it produces dust - visit Metal Shop and look at the area around the grinders. It’s the nature of the beast.

This airborne dust if not controlled could also impact FA and Jewelry when things are fired, or the work tables where finishes are applied. All are adjacent to Machine Shop - if some of the dust is present on the surface or in the glazes it could react.

Also, not sure what the voltage requirements are, will probably require another drop to power the grinder motor and the magnetized base. Again, this will be easier to incorporate after our move.

Please consider all factors associated with this tools, not just “Wow! Golly. Hot Damn!” part. Great tool for our future, but not ideal for now, IMO. I support getting the tool, but I not in favor of installing it for the above reasons.

1 Like

I was referring to the optical comparator.

The comparator has a fairly small foot print and doesn’t have the problems I was replying to regarding the surface grinder.

However, it too will have some issues:

• It does take space
  • It will need some overlays I’m sure we aren’t getting those as they are probably being used on their newer replacement screen. Not sure what the magnification is and if there there is just one lens. But each magnification level requires a new overlays.
  • specialized overlays may be able to be produced from CAD for special contours IF the dimensions can be calibrated to the printer.

Some of our Sherline accessories are similar to the staging tools so we benefit from them. I’m not sure how much use this would actually get by people. But, hopefully, when we get more space there will be an actual inspection area where out surface plate and other inspection tools can be gathered together.

I’d like to get a nose count:
Optical Compatator

• Yes, get that baby! Even if we have to store for a while
  • No. what are you thinking!
  • Meh, indifferent on this item

0 voters

Surface Grinder

• Yes. Get that baby! Even if we have to store for a while
  • No. What are you thinking!
  • Meh, indifferent about it

0 voters

@Team_Machine_Shop

Just bumping, would like to be able to tell them Friday Yes or No on these two items. So please vote if you haven’t.

Thanks

I closed the voting:
66% Want Optical Comparative vs 5% that Do Not 13 to 1 in Favor
57% Want the Surface Grinder vs 13% that Do Not 4.4 to 1 in Favor

@NightRanger

@nicksilva if No objections I recommend let @NightRanger let the donor know we’ll take take them!! No need a way to get them here!

3 Likes

I have no objection so long as we have room and power for them . The grinder is going to make a mess. Not cleaning up after use will likely become an issue for the new janitor… uh, I mean chair

1 Like