Open Works in Baltimore

I was in Baltimore this weekend and had the pleasure of getting a tour of a really great place. I talked to them about how they got funding and some other really cool ideas. I look forward to developing a great relationship with them and evaluating what worked for them to possibly work for us.

https://goo.gl/photos/eNr2wJHh4pSQS7Av7.

8 Likes

That’s very interesting. So studios?

I also took a look at price point. While DMS may not have fancy steps outside, the aggressive pricing makes it a poor choice to not join.

Of course change is inevitable, but I like the DMS style of growing with revenues as appropriate. There is no risk of over extending then oops. The best organizations grow naturally like this IMO.

1 Like

Looks WAY to clean to be getting any real work done :wink:

1 Like

lol…they have a front desk.

1 Like

I believe they have employees and a LOT of grant funding.

1 Like

They have been open 5 weeks and do a lot of out reach and are starting to ramp up other classes. They work with other orgs in the area to gain teachers like the tool library down the street. https://goo.gl/photos/xtMEeu7VEXjyy87b9. They have 3 full time staff. 18 part time techs. 1 person through americorp and 1 from a similar local org.

Overall it’s pretty damn impressive. I was gratified to see their Jet edge sander has the same varnished strip on the belt from misuse that ours does!!

But it still doesn’t make me want to move to Baltimore…

oh Amen to that! :smile_cat:

I didn’t realize that the SXSL sign featured on this tested video was made there

Do you know if that was an existing building or one built specifically for them? All the steps / uneven floor in the workspace is amusing

1 Like

Correct. Will was also one of the people that gave a speech at the white House event in August that I attended. The building I want to say was almost 100 years old. The worked with the local government to get it through new market tax credits (something I don’t fully understand but hope to learn more about) and a foundation. I also want to say that just because something worked for them doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for us, but we should see what else is out there.

I notice in an article where they have a mobile maker space (Van) that includes in the van a 3-D printer and a laser cutter, I hope we can make our party bus successful as well.

Looks like a nice setup. One thing that surprised me was their hours are 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM, Sun 9:00 AM -5:00 PM. Different city, different needs/capabilities. Seems like their target is skewed toward professional/business more than amateur/hobby. Nice to see what’s out there. Thanks Alex.

Ooooh Aaaaah … it’s got a paint booth!!! They’ll be lookimg over their backs for the EPA Swat Team now!!! … haha

Very impressive… I wonder who paid for this?

They also have full time and part time staff to administer the necessary bureaucracy.

A paint booth is extremely unlikely the way DMS is currently tooled.

Edit: it bothers me that you apparently think fearmongering is why we don’t have a paint booth.

Edit2: according to @AlexRhodes “It’s several grants, trusts, foundations.”

3 Likes

It looks like a really nice setup. I’m going to be in DC for the Thanksgiving Holiday…I’ll be sure to stop in and see how they’re doing. Thanks for the info and pics

There is also The Foundry in Baltimore that opened up in May. https://goo.gl/photos/JcjUcbenNNuXWDLc8. I visited them back then on their first day they opened. I didn’t get a chance to follow up this visit with them, I’m curious how they are doing.

On the subject of gym selection, Arnold Schwarzenegger says to choose the one that reminds you most of a dungeon/torture chamber. Key elements include rust, no padding, lack of heat/ac, broken handles/bars, etc.

And while it would be nice to have concierge staff 247 and electronic TP dispensers, I take pride in my starving hacker status… If I’m not at the donation shelf fist fighting a concealed carrying ninja over broken 386 mother board and word perfect reference excyclopedia, it’s not a real makerspace…

3 Likes

I know it’s more in depth than just that, but regulations seem to be one of the issues and how to handle them.

You don’t want to learn how to make improvised weapons?

1 Like

I’ll wait for the makers class here, ha!