Only Glazing the Inside

I took a slip casting class from @toussaintpeg. It was fun!

My cup has gone through the first firing. It is my understanding it is now ready to be glazed. Is that correct?

I want to glaze the inside of the cup so it is easy to clean. But, I want to leave the outside as-is. Does that work? Can something that has been glazed on just one side be glaze-fired?

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely! It’s a great way to make an item more food safe while keeping a raw clay aesthetic. If you are going to drink directly out of the item, I would suggest overlapping an inch or so onto the outside at the lip. It’s also a cool method to introduce contrasting textures. Some clays and finishes have velvety soft textures that feel good in the hand.

You can glaze wth a strong color that coordinates/contrasts or go with a clear to preserve the look between inside and outside.

3 Likes

One quick addendum: Only glazing one side can sometimes have an effect (unexpected, negative, unusual, etc.) with some particular glazes/clay bodies/firing methods. But it is very unlikely you will run into those without knowing about it. However, technically speaking, it can, just not for 95+% of what you’ll run into without seeking such out. That’s my CYA answer, heh.

3 Likes

What type of slip was used? Is it low fire or high fire?

2 Likes

I don’t know. It’s whatever @toussaintpeg had us use. There’s a bucket of it under the island workbench on the north side. It’s my understanding that Fire Arts paid for it.

2 Likes

It’s a cone 6 compatible slip.

3 Likes