One Small Step for new member Integration

The “why don’t more people volunteer” thread has multiple takes on the lack of new member orientation/integration. I have seen multiple efforts on getting a monthly orientation of some sort or another, but I have not seen anything come to fruition.

What if we take one small initial step that can be completed before year end. Let’s draft a welcome email for all new members. It can be sent to anyone who has joined in the last 6 months to catch up on those member we missed, and I am sure some of our programming wizards can ensure it is sent automatically when a new member signs up.

This email should give basic information:
-A welcome from our President or BOD.
-The Wiki including links to topics of interest.
-Link to talk that goes directly to the stickied READ FIRST topic
-Link to the latest Show & Tell to inspire making.
-A list of committees, chairs, and suggested initial classes to get started (Woodshop 101 and Lathe 101 for woodshop, welding safety and blacksmithing intro, laser 101, etc…)
-Why volunteerism is important, necessary, and how to get involved.
-Overview of our structure including current BOD members and voting information.

We can’t overthink this to death, we must avoid analysis paralysis.

I am happy to lead the effort, I don’t have all the ideas or the “right” information, but I am happy to organize and push us to completion.

What say you?

10 Likes

-What being “excellent” means. Many times I wish we had just quoted the Golden Rule instead.

4 Likes

I fully support the phasing out of be excellent for do unto others as you would have them do unto you

3 Likes

When I joined, I did get such an email.
I assume new members today still get something like it.
It points to the New Member 411 (on the wiki).
Which (mostly) fulfills the other points you’ve made, I think…
I like your idea, but my impression is: this is already being done. We can’t force people to read…

Also,

needs to be made public, unless we make their TALK account “already active upon registration” or similar (a topic Draco posted on recently somewhere I"m too lazy to look up just now).

1 Like

Here’s a screencap of my such letter

Favorite things about it:
short, sweet, to the point.
contained (albeit inaccurate) all the information I needed to “get started”.

1 Like

Love this!

@thespacemaker @Team_Digital_Media is working on a plan for a video about DMS.

I would love to help. I don’t know if I have realistic time to help. I also know @dianarhodes is working on this.

1 Like

I remember this email as well. The feeling_emphasized text_ it gave me was that it was up to me to figure everything out on my own.

That was fine with me so I dug in by taking classes. Quickly, I hit a brick wall after I learned laser, vinyl and 3D printing. I felt like I was effectively locked out of tool access for lack of courses. I imagine most folks cancel their membership outright or let the auto draft continue as a donation.

Thankfully, I have enjoyed meeting the fellow members that our organization attracts. We can do much better than the current email to make it easier for new folks.

1 Like

An idea to consider, make some quick and dirty intro videos.

1 A welcome video that plays in the lobby as people are waiting for the introductory tour. The video previews the tour process, joining process, and them outlines the cultural expectations of new members, .

1. a follow up video for those that join, including the who’s whats and where of the space. Like Talk Events etc.

2. The BoD and each committe put to gether a short video of the offerings, process for getting involved.

These do not have to be professional, they can be done with Iphones, or that other kind.

As a reference look at the videos on Fastcap for phone created vids.

As always anyone want to discuss this more give me a shout.

in process Mike with digital media!

I think it is still worth looking at the approach Fastcap takes in using phones for quick quality videos. Partially to get stuff done, or updated quickly.

The other info on there is using QR codes for instructions for how to’s or equipment use.

1 Like

High-fiving you

Do unto others as they do unto you? :stuck_out_tongue:

The issue is not many read the email, they still goto Stan to get their badges turned on.
Many prefer to have a personal interaction.

But I really like the idea … lets do it

How about instead of an email … we direct them when they sign up to a page?

1 Like