Officers needed at the MakerSpace

We exist as a community, not a tool rental shop. We are strong because of our members, our volunteers.

Some jobs are tough because no one wants to do them. Some are as simple, but annoying, as picking up trash, sweeping a floor, cleaning a table, replacing the toilet paper, carrying a lost item to Lost and Found. We need people to do those things.

We also have big jobs. Those that take a lot of time, care, energy, patience, and love. We currently have the following vacancies:

1. Treasurer: Easier now with Kathy, such a diligent bookkeeper, and the new accounting firm. But still an important job. We need someone who understands the MakerSpace to interface with finance folks. Someone to help us estimate our income and expenses and plan our budget. Someone to provide insight we wonder about member rates, charging for storage… And someone to update and reassure the members, or cajole us to action.

2. Secretary. This position is required by the State/IRS for us to maintain our corporate identity. Role: Ensure the official meeting minutes are recorded for Board of Directors meetings. Other duties, such as being a signatory on the banking account, are as appointed by the President and by the BOD. @LukeStrickland has resigned because of a fab new job in a distant land.

3. New Director. Luke Strickland has moved away. He will not be able to maintain his duties as a director. We need to plan for a special election, and seek candidates for this wonderful, and wonderfully demanding job. @LukeStrickland

4. Vice- President. We really need to grow our membership as we grow. Having only the President as our central officer is a great demand on that person, and leaves our with a point of failure. We need to spread the load and have a prepared backup.

5. Committee Chairs & Vice-Chairs. Chairs should be training, preparing replacements. It is a a great teaching exercise, and fits our mandate well. Committee need passionate members, and members interested in assuming leadership. Both the Chairs and Members need to stand up.

17 Likes

In the near future we need to expand the BoD7

3 Likes

Staggered terms would help with continuity also.

17 Likes

Along w/ limits of how many consecutive terms can be served.

4 Likes

In contiguous terms? Or over time because I can see a director running after a couple years.

2 Likes

Some examples on the idea
Current system:
Serve 2 (1 yr) consecutive terms. Not eligible to run for at least 1 term. Must take at least 1 (1 yr) term break.

Possible proposed 7 member BoD w/staggered terms.
Terms are offset by 6 months.
Any given BoD member can serve 2 (1 yr) consecutive terms. Must take at least 1 (1 yr) term break.
Not eligible to run after just 6 months.

These are just ideas/examples.
Nothing being proposed here.
As always - open for discussion/comments.

7 Likes

David has been working on “job description” for the treasurer. There’s been a lot of back and forth about it. I’m hoping it’ll be finished soon.

This is not a small undertaking either. We’ll need to follow all official rules related to hosting an annual election, and voting members must reach quorum. I do not plan on resigning until the board has moved forward with this annual election.

I really like this idea! I’m going to think on it a bit more.

3 Likes

The Board can designate any officers they see fit which could include a Vice-President. They do not have to be a board member but they probably should be for consistency and member buy-in.

If we need to setup the online voting system let me know. Be glad to to run the online portion.

2 Likes

@LukeStrickland hasn’t resigned so finding a fifth board member is unnecessary. Luke, thanks for sticking with it even under difficult circumstances.

1 Like

I have expressed my willingness to resign. My belief is the members currently deserve a director who is available in person.

However I will not resign until the board has moved forward with an annual election.

11 Likes

What difficult circumstances? Besides a big move and new job for Luke which is a lot to handle but Luke is very capable. We miss his efficiency at the space!

2 Likes

Stagger on annual basis. It cost about $1400 per election and we’d be in perpetual elections.

1 Like

We can’t hold on schedule an election until there is a open seat. We can have Special Meeting immediately after the resignation to set it up.

1 Like

As of 9/5/18 I will have been back 3 months, I would be interested in helping out again. Think I would make a excellent V.P.

2 Likes

I’ve was involved with a 501© volunteer organization where the VP is elected knowing that they will automatically move to the President spot. The President then has a person they know will succeed them. There were several benefits to this plan: It basically provides a 1 year transition with VP~Pres, eases the VP into the role of Pres and they have a better understanding of what to expect, allows VP to step right in with minimal ramp up after election, provides continuity with the overlap, provides the Pres with help, helps prevent Pres burnout since they know they will be there only two years total as VP-Pres. Drawbacks… the Pres might want to be there longer than that, one year might be too short to really mature and grow the Pres position and role. One variation… The terms could be 2 years each, in effect placing the same person in the VP~Pres role four years. Or is that too long for a volunteer to be able to commit? . And, you can do it with the other positions as well if your looking to expand the board and distribute the work. Asst Secretary, Asst Treasurer, etc…the roles and responsibilities need to be defined so the asst is not delegated fiduciary tasks they shouldn’t be or the other person does not like to delegate and share. These don’t have to be an automatic succession, but are still good training. I’m not recommending this change, just sharing what I have seen work before.

1 Like

One thing some of the larger committees migh want to do is to have
an emergency replacement person It can even be a past chair comeone thac come
in and do the job for a month or so

1 Like

Isn’t that what the vice-chairs are for?

3 Likes

@LukeStrickland I do appreciate all the work you put in for the MakerSpace, and I am still happy with my vote for you to be on the board. But you have to be here to continue that role.

From the ByLaws: Section 2.2 Vacancies of Office

1. A Director may resign by giving written notice to any member of the Board of Directors.
  2. A Director is also deemed to have resigned or is required to resign under the following provisions:
    Being absent from three Board meetings consecutively without the approval of the Board
1 Like

I’ll see you in person on Monday?

2 Likes

Absent doesn’t mean physical. There have been a number of board meetings with no physical presence at all. Brian and other directors in the past have attended meetings remotely.