Off-brand Carplay recommendations/warnings?

So, I bought my wife a “budget” Boss stereo a while back because her volume control stopped working on her factory stereo ('05 Highlander). You get what you pay for, and the volume control on the Boss unit has now failed after less than 2 years.

I like Pioneer and Sony, but she’d kill me if I paid $500 for a stereo. Has anyone had any luck with off brand Carplay options offered on Amazon? Trying to replace the Boss while also improving the safety and experience… maybe wishful thinking…

Even the major brands seem to be junk. I have a Sony XAV-AX100 that will not keep time (loses about 10 minutes a day) and has a spectacularly bad UI. Can’t delete speed dial entries once entered. Sony essentially said “So what?”

The JVC KW-V830BT I have isn’t too bad, though it’s “quirky” at times. Screen is hard to read in sunlight.

My VW OEM radio is pretty good. Great screen, decent UI, and generally reliable. Biggest issue is lightning cables, and that’s not a VW issue.

I have a number of friends that have brand Y (not as well know as brand X like Boss) Carplay boxes and none of them seem happy.

1 Like

For some more references. My CarPlay in my 2020 Ford Van does have issues itself, OEM. You’d figure we would have a system that just works. How hard could it be? However on that same token, I can hardly make a good phone call from my iPhone either.

2 Likes

Agreed! The stock stereo was quite decent, but the volume knob drove me up the wall. This Boss unit has been underwhelming from the start.

@TBJK I’ve heard good reports about carplay… but not without spending over $500.

Was the original CarPlay? Do you still have it?

To be honest, most cheaper and head units like Boss or dual, tend to not to last more than a couple years without starting to have some problems. Same thing with “walmart” versions of pioneer, kicker amps and speakers, ect…
(NEVER buy amp install kits at walmart. 90% aluminum wiring and that causes A LOT of issues).

I usually stick with Kenwood for my head units and to be completely honest, if you hunt around on Facebook Marketplace you can usually find some really nice ones, be it a couple years old, for pretty cheap and in good working order because they last.

And before anyone can come in and tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, no offense, I was MECP certified in 1997, involved and IASCA finals in 98, 99 and 2001, hot important nights in 2002, 03 and 04 and have built several SPL and DB Drag vehicles, along with serveral custom fiberglass setups for show cars.

3 Likes

I’ve heard good things about the Joying brand android ones, and they seem like a good way to get a modern screen into an older car, but I haven’t used one myself. Like most cheap things there’s probably some degree of jank.

1 Like

original was before Carplay… before iPhone for that matter :joy: Pretty sure I chucked it…

I suspect that buying a used name brand (JVC, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) is probably your lowest overall risk if you can see it powered up. I carried a power supply and speakers to test when I bough mine.

2 Likes

That’s my assumption. My off brand portable monitor was 1/3rd the cost of the namebrand, and it works great. Not looking for the Maserati… aiming for mid-2000’s Corolla :grin:

Maybe I’ll be the guinea pig on this one…

1 Like

I have that same Sony XA-VAX1000. Got it for $200 used at Best Buy. Have you updated the firmware to v1.25? I don’t expect much from this budget head unit, but now that I’ve taken the firmware update, it seems just fine for what I need it to do. It’s in a 2010 Buick, just to level-set expectations. :rofl:

1 Like

No, I have XA-VAX100 base model.

I’ve heard too many stories of bricked units and no subsequent support from Sony, and the update disclaims all liability - even bricking the unit. Plus, I don’t think it fixes the UI, just improves Carplay reliability, which is adequate in this case. Doesn’t seem to be worth any risk.

1 Like

After a bit of google-ing, I’m going to try one of the Atoto F7 units… Let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Even for her vehicle?

I keep a vehicle for a long time. As a result, I can justify spending a good bit for a sound system I can enjoy for not that much per year. Unfortunately for me, technology has a habit of a major breakthrough just after I acquire.

My first one had an 8-track player just before the cassette took over. The second had a cassette player just before CD players became common and affordable. The third lacked satellite and HD radio and the ability to play MP3 files from a CD or DVD; it does not even have an AUX input…

1 Like

She’s blessedly practical when it comes to that sort of thing. So long as she can play music and charge her phone, she’s good. I have to surprise her with tech that will “make life better”. My most recent win was airpod Pro 2’s. She balked at the cost till she tried them :smile:

1 Like