Occasional welders wanted

Randy, here’s my two bits: I learned to stick weld as a young man from my dad. We welded a lot of things back then like boat trailers, gas tanks, various structures we built for the shop, any number of automobile changes/modifications, etc. He was an electrician by trade but could also weld, do refrigeration repairs, plumbing, woodworking, carpentry, etc. Growing up on a farm he kind of had to. He worked full time as a journeyman electrician at Dow Chemical but we had a seperate shop where he could do other stuff. He taught my brother and I a lot of things there.

The bottom line is that MIG and TIG welding are NOT stick welding and learning them are considerably harder for me. I suppose though that like anything else it is a matter of practice right?

My suggesting would be an “open welding session” much like they do in blacksmithing with the open forge. Then those of us working on projects could come and get an assist with the project from a more experienced welder.

Personally, I plan to make some damascus steel and use the welders to weld the various layers together initially. This is usually done by putting all of the layered steels in a vise and welding the ends of them together, then using the forge to weld the actual layers into one billet. Once the forging is completed the ends are sometimes cut off or ground down to remove the welding machine welds, before forming the billet into a knife blank.

I also have some other steel I bought a couple of years ago that I had planned to make knives from but found out is too mild to use for that purpose. (1018) Now I’m thinking I might want to make a blacksmthing tool box from it. This would require considerable welding to accomplish.

I would be interested in a welding mentor and would try to show up for welding sessions on Monday nights if you’re offering.

3 Likes

Thanks @rlisbona! I would be VERY interested in participating in the occasional welder classes/meetups and would greatly appreciate the learning opportunity. Mondays would work for me, but I would make time whenever they’re available.

DD

@Photomancer ::
YES!!! This is exactly the kind of thing in which I’m interested!!! I’ll help harvest parts, but I don’t yet have a work truck for transport to DMS.

DD

People could bring sample material and we could talk about how to prep and fixture for welding and some test welds

2 Likes

I’ve got a set of stainless bike exhaust pipes that I bought from another Member.

I want to practice on them before I weld up the new exhaust for my little GT.

I have to put a new clutch in it this coming week so I can race it at the Autocross it next weekend at the Goodguys show at Texas Motor Speedway.

The new exhaust can wait. The clutch is why she’s up on cribs in the garage right now. Have all the parts. Just have to get 'em into the car.

Life’s super busy right now, but eager to get back to DMS and play.

DD

With Stainless you need the backside purged with Argon, We don’t have the fittings and an extra gas line to do that, we can talk about that at the metal shop meeting. I can take a photo of my setup at home.

We should have a dual regulator.

Is that only for very thin material ? I hadn’t heard of that before. Learning stainless is on my list.

No, it creates sugaring on the back side if its not in an inert environment

Sugaring sounds like it would be no big deal to remove, like a cosmetic issue, but it is actually extremely hard black oxides. I used a piece of stainless tubing for an axle mount for my two wheel dolly a few years ago. After I welded it the axle wouldn’t fit through it. It was a lot of work to clean up the ID so the axle would fit. Thats when I set up my back purge valve.

I use a piece of 1/4" tubing, open the valve on the right side, increase preflow time to several seconds, use foil or tape to close off back side of the part or ends of a tube.

4 Likes

Leaving some priors here…
This one shows a dual regulator setup kind of like we might have, as well as a link to Solar Flux:

In this one, someone asks a question and it gets answered:

These aren’t priors, though I would SWEAR I’ve put these links into Talk before…
The Fabricator Series Justin talks about & demonstrates backpurging, why, how, and alternatives to noble gas like Solar Flux:

The Fabricator Series Justin talks about & tests Solar Flux alternatives

3 Likes

Charley told me it’s possible to do dissimilar metal braising with the TIG. I would like to practice a lot with that. Have several sculptures I want to create as functional furnishings for my editing suite.

DD

Awesome! Very useful. Thanks!

DD

1 Like

Hello all, my name’s Zach and I’m a new member at DMS and am actually looking to get certified and all in the metal shop. I am a furniture builder and welder at a local shop and would love to teach some classes, but am not too sure how to get involved. Thanks

2 Likes

Hey Zach we met yesterday. We’ll be painting in the metal shop Monday night at 6. Maybe also on Wednesday at 6. Quickest way to get checked off is to come to our committee meetings and work days. You’ll need to take the hot process class, if you already know how to weld I can give you a quick sign off. Would be great to have more teachers and more metal classes
-Randy

2 Likes

Good evening Randy, I’m sorry I did not get back to you sooner! I do know how to weld and love to get signed off, I plan on being at DMS this Wednesday evening, 4/13, would you happen to be around on that day?

Thanks for getting back to me,
Zach

I’m out of town Wednesday and get back late that night. I will probably be there tomorrow Monday night, otherwise next sat or sun afternoon

I’m going to try to make it tonight for the prerequisite plasma cutter training at 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm, will you be there around then?

Dissimilar Metal Brazing?

We attempted to braze Tungsten to Tungsten Carbide using Nickle-Silver filler with high temp Black Flux. It proved impossible with Hydraflux or MAP-O2 torches. By the time we got everything up to working temp (1800-1900 F’), it had burned off the Flux, and everything was oxidizing so badly there was no place to bond.

On the advice of @procterc , we used the TIG, and it was easy! The Argon gas shielding prevented oxidation, and the ample heating made the Ni-Ag flow almost instantly.

NOTE: These Bernzomatic Ni-Ag rods have a weird blue plastic flux coating, but I’m not sure its even necessary under the Argon envelope.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Hoping to get into the 'Space more starting this week and try that out.

DD