Obnoxious Twits on Multicam

Public caning in the interactive classroom.

3 Likes

Two things here:

1.) We need to train more people on how to resurface the spoilboards and replacing spoilboards with pre-cut MDF so this isn’t as big of an issue.

2.) While I (working for multicam and train machine operation) use the top surface and max depth option. Setting surface from the spoilboard and working in Z negative (positive is down unlike most cnc machines) might help us in this case. We call it a fasmer surface and you can set the material thickness by pressing shift+surface button. Of course you need to select the right stock settings in Vcarve/F360.

We can’t physically limit Z depth and most through cuts need at least 0.010" to penetrate through given the wide variances of the spoilboard surface, regularly milling the MDF flat would help this.

8 Likes

Some folks might be into that.

3 Likes

it means no one gets banned no matter how much they fuck it up. So…no consequence.

Hey everyone,

I don’t jump on this all that much but just saw all this. I am responsible for the large bore/ hole. To answer @mdredmond , Yes it was caused by failing to reset the max depth after a bit change. Thankfully I stopped it in time so this was all on top of the spoil board. Since it didn’t go through the spoil board I didn’t think it was an issue since it’s a spoil board.

Still new to a lot of the workings here so I apologize if I handled it improperly. I have no issue paying for part/all of a new spoil board (still unsure if i’m the big trouble maker) and accepting some punishment. I already felt dumb and embarrassed enough that I did it once that it wont happen again. @shoottx

On the issue of punishments/ reprimands, what should I do if I see someone improperly using the multi cam in a non obvious way. I reminded an older gentleman that was warming up the spindle without a bit to make sure to have one ( to preserve the bearings if I remember Chris correctly.) The same individual started a job and left the room to heat up a sandwich without a trained stand in (at least that I was aware of.) Cause I don’t want to cause problems but I also don’t want the machines to be misused.

10 Likes

I don’t speak in an official capacity, but I thank you for stepping up and letting us know.
This is the important “first step”, I think, to being an excellent part of the solution when it comes to keeping our tools not just functional, but pleasurable to use.

I get this!
Important lesson for us all, though, is that taking charge of the situation is the correct response. Not just for the MultiCAM, but for ANY tool, if nothing else, contact the committee, let them know you FUBARd something, ask how to fix it, offer to replace it, etc. Even if you can’t fix it on the spot, we at least want to know it NEEDS fixed, so we can get on that ASAP. In most cases, filing a “Sorry I FUBARd the Whatchmacallit” thread on #issues-requests is a great step, even if you’re not sure who is “in the committee”. Some of us can be a bit abrasive and crusty about a screw up, but we all know we might have done it, too, and at this point, we have 2 important things to do:

• learn from the mistake
  • fix the tool

Even if we’re jerks about the whole thing, we appreciate the report, and embrace the fact that THIS is a place to learn, not a factory. Screw up happen. Some bigger than others. We try to fix them all through shared education and experiences.
So thank you, again, for making that important first step in helping us all learn from this experience. Although I think I know what “fixing this” would amount to, I"ll leave it to our woodshop team to use this moment to teach us all the appropriate response. :+1:

9 Likes

I don’t want to harp on this beyond saying that the fact that it’s a spoil board doesn’t mean that it is there to be negligently or deliberately spoiled. It’s there to provide a uniform, stable surface for what is being cut and to protect the machine from accidents that happen despite reasonable care and attentiveness. A single gouge or even hole isn’t a huge deal but they add up and eventually someone has to spend a bunch of time remediating others’ damage to make the machine usable.

This reminds me of a recent exchange on NextDoor. Someone said they dinged someone’s door in a parking lot and asked if they should have left a note and an offer to pay for the damage. Some idiot chimed in and said (this is a 99% quote), “Why should you pay for something as minor as a door ding? It’s a car. They get dinged. In ten years it’s going to look like a pile of crap anyway.” He said this seemingly oblivious to the fact that people like him are the reason cars look like piles of crap after ten years.

Anyway, your hole isn’t the end of the world. Unlike many, you didn’t run your whole job that way.
Someday I’ll forget to set max depth and it’ll be my turn to grovel.

2 Likes