Nut Splitter Tool

Hey everyone,

Do we have a nut splitter tool at the space? I ran into some trouble yesterday trying to get a rusted nut off a sway bar end link, and ended up struggling to grind it off with a cutoff wheel. After more research, it seems like a nut splitter tool might have been the easier route?

Unfortunatly no, we do not have one

1 Like

Not the question you asked, but my two cents worth.

I’ve had limited success with nut splitters. My go-to is a cutoff wheel on a Dremel/rotary tool.

We do have, or did have, to best I recall, an induction heater designed for fastener removal. Or maybe I just thought it would be nice…
Anyway, big brand name one - Bolt Buster (because Nut Buster wasn’t deemed “marketable”, I guess?)
I thought one was floating around the 'Space in recent history.

Where is the induction heater kept? has anyone used it recently? i.e. vouch that it still works.

2 Likes

I ended up using the air tool cut off wheel, but the clearance was tight. A dremel might have worked a little better.

Yes I’m curious about this as most of the research i’ve done for my ball joint will require some heat to remove the pinch bolt.

This is our solution since we can’t have a torch like real shows do…

Can we not use a torch in automotive? I never have, but we do have MAPP gas torch(es) in jewelry.

1 Like

I’m not aware of a rule prohibiting the use of a torch in automotive.

Closest I could locate on the wiki/Source is the CoC

Don’t catch fire, set others on fire, or set anything on fire which has not been designated or designed to be on fire.

Good advice that.

ETA: If there’s an induction heater available I’d probably reach for that first.

1 Like

I was there yesterday afternoon. You were not being loud enough nor screaming enough expletives for it to come off.

9 Likes

What year make and model do you have?

Sway bar link nuts are often nylocks or similar and with the aid of a pry-bar and a pneumatic impact gun - cutting of the hardware is unnecessary.

Simple ball joint pinch bolts are fairly easy - no smoke wrench needed. (if you happen to have a later model Audi where the brainless engineered a long ass steel bolt anchoring into an aluminum threaded hole for the upper two control arms - then yes, there is a VERY high likelihood of snapping this bolt off midway.

There’s an induction heater here in the green cabinets. It’s very much fun - used it today!

8 Likes

2015 Subaru Outback. The catch is I lived in Chicago for ~4 years

2 Likes

We have those as well in automotive, they’re on the tool wall

1 Like

Corrosion makes mechanical work more adventurous and builds character !

I used to live in a snow and salt area when i first worked at a German car shop.

Native north Texas cars are a breeze compared to those from the north and northeast!

4 Likes

Went back on Saturday morning to take off the other end link. Used the induction heater, some Kroil, Vice grips, and the M12 ratchet tool. Got it off in 15 minutes. Couldn’t Get the ball joint pinch bolt to budge though.