[NOT-RESOLVED]Laguna Band Saw

That would be the way to do it…
I just trying to rule out something silly. The bandsaw worked perfectly before it didn’t… which is how all machinery works before it breaks…
what’s got be perplexed is the taking the wheels off and putting them back on shouldn’t have messed with the alignment… with the type of the sealed bearings

What model Laguna? I’ll be near a relatives saw that I think is a Laguna this weekend of anyone thinks some photos might help.

Not necessary, I’ll be fixing it tonight, and as to what happened that made it out of alignment is kinda irrelevant all I’m concerned with is bringing it back into alignment,

That’s a very simplified summary of what I’ll be doing but yea that’s what has to be done

Throwing in the towel Well I got it coplanar and it still doesn’t track right, so a machine that was fully operational and taken out of commission because of a worn drive belt, still functioning and operational just a worn drive belt is now beyond 2 people’s ability to fix,… so who know what to do now sucks a top 4 most used machine is now basically useless for what was a worn drive belt

You might want to read the problem report again at the top of this thread. It describes more problems than “just a worn drive belt”.

Yea and re read the part about Chris brought it back to operational again, then it was taken down whilst in perfectly working conditions albeit a few things were showing wear and needed to be replaced in the future but taken down out of fully operational condition

Again my point being fully functional but with parts that showed signs of wear, and again my point a worn drive belt, saw was put back together without replacing or changing anything and was in fully operational safe working order with. Parts that showed signs of wear

All I know is we had a fully working saw, it was locked out even when it was capable of being used and operated safely, and now we have a massive paper weight which neither you or I could get running properly again

So your take is just run it until the parts are worn further and NEVER reparable? In your mind never attempt to do preventive maintenance on our tools as long as they are working. I know a lot of members do not care about the equipment and treat everything as disposable. So good job letting us know you are one of those people. Marginally working is more important than maintenance.

Maybe it is time to have a professional tool repair give it s shot.

Lesson learned, maybe wood shop does not need nice things since someone will always come along and break/abuse our tools.

so you replace your alternator before it goes out! Or your fan belt before it goes out! Or how about your water heater, you replace it before it starts causing issues right? Your roof? No leaks but but might as well replace it, your oil? Not time for an oil change but might as well just
Cause, exactly nobody does what you’re suggesting lol
And generally when drive belt are replaced every single one on the planet has been irreparable that’s why they’re a consumable
And if funds need to be allocated so be it but I’m very excited to have the 1099 for Dms current year filled it’ll be An interesting read

Actually, yes, That is what you’re supposed to do.

How do you avoid your house flooding from the water heater? Replace it when it hits the PM point.

Do you replace the oil in your engine at 3-7k miles (depending on which oil you use)? Or do you wait until the engine seizes and it becomes a multi - thousand dollar job?

When a system is worn, you don’t continue to run it, as all you do is accelerate the rate of wear. You pause use and find a way to fix it.

In this case I made the call to take it out of service as there were numerous PM issues that could rapidly deteriorate the machine.

Just because you have failed to put it back into service after one night of messing with it, doesn’t mean the machine is dead. It means you don’t know how to fix it.

It’s ok to not know how to fix it; I don’t.

It’s not okay to declare the whole thing trash and this whole course of action wrong because you don’t like the current outcome.

7 Likes

Sorry if I have little faith that the commite who decided 80 saw stop cartridges were to much of an expenditure but the heavy price tag to fix it is gonna be a yea absolutely, it’s gonna be a stalled out look for options ultimately resulting the a inferior machine in its place or 6-7 months of it not in service but that’s just me, and about the oiL, do you have your oil at 1800 miles no because it’s still within the operational range of the device! Same with the belt

As someone who fixes things professionally for a living for the past 21 years, its best to head the curve. Fix things before they have a chance to break & cause more issues. We have customers that dont, but that ends up in the long run as more cost & more downtime. I teach those junior techs, what to look for & to address it. Tell the customer, most of the time the customer will want it fixed before it becomes a bigger issue. Most government facilities do the opposite, they dont fix it. Then it’s an emergency, all hands on deck to fix it.

7 Likes

Like a timing belt on an interference engine.

1 Like

Better comparison would be a fan belt on a car not much it can mess up if it broke

Put a new blade on it.
Adjust the tracking
Adjust the guide bearings so they barely touch the blade when under power but not cutting anything.
If the blade wanders around on the wheels it is a tracking issue likely because the tire needs crowning. (As Tim pointed out)

Its not easy to crown a tire, I sent mine out when I had new rubber tires put on. First place I tried locally, ruined one of the tires, and I ended up sending them to a place near chicago to be redone. Can’t remember the name of either company now.

If both hubs are the same and they fit on the bottom drive shaft we might be able to crown them in the machine. Im not sure if you can sand urethane, it might take a die grinder with a cutting bit and a way to hold the die grinder and take small cutting depth. With rubber tires I’ve seen photos where they used a board with course sandpaper to crown the tire.

Has anyone checked to see if laguna can crown the tires?

This looks like a good brainstorming topic for Saturday

1 Like

This is the case

Notice the ripples and uneven seurface

That looks like the tire is lower down the center of the wheel in the photo. Is that just an illusion?, i was expecting flat or crowned.

It is an illusion, the tire is flat. Or at least was when I put it on there…

1 Like