No more TechShop

That is very true @Bill. Buying tools does not make a makerspace, building community does. And it is very helpful when you have so many people volunteering their time and talents. Thanks to those that started DPRG & DMS and those that continue to put in lots of effort.

8 Likes

If ā€œtheyā€ couldnā€™t fix the one that was already established, why would you think ā€œtheyā€ could build another and be successful?
(I am seriously asking, not trying to be snarky. I have a couple of ideas, but Iā€™d like to hear yours before I taint the recipe).

1 Like

By they, I mostly meant the maker community.

If they saw one fail, they may have been able to see what works and what didnā€™t. A big MAY.

1 Like

Yep, but Iā€™ve learned alot from this place by not having to pay those rates. Folks were given the space to coordinate classes to share knowledge, not gouge the makers.

The idea is to share what we know, which brings in more people which allows us to keeps our dues reasonable.

I told a guy about this place yesterday, heā€™s coming to open house tonight, what rang a bell was 50.00 month for a vast array of knowledge.

He now may join and then contribute as others have to pay it forward.

So while everything is not perfect here, if everyone just opened up their eyes and see what have in hand and appreicate and respect it, then BOD meetings wouldnā€™t be so brutal, and the talk complaints would die down.

Some organizations dontā€™ make it, as per the thread subject, we are still here, something to think about whenever you feel like this place sucks or isnt catering to what you need.

1 Like

Dead-on. This is really under-estimated value/asset of DMS: equipment without knowledge produces a lot scrap. Plus it is very much a part of the ā€œINSPIREā€. During tours Iā€™ve pointed out some of your awesome machines as what can be achieved.