No more TechShop

https://makezine.com/2017/11/15/techshop-closes-doors-files-bankruptcy/

While I may not have cared for their pricing, they did some things right and helped bring ideas for other makerspaces including ours.

6 Likes

it’s a sad thing. however it does show how tricky pricing can be. If we raised our membership we’d see a hell of a drop off (IMO) despite how cheap we actually are compared to their pricing. Best of luck to the TechShop people.

2 Likes

Sad, but not entirely surprising. It’s not an easy model and they were certainly a pioneer. Some pioneers got land with gold and oil, others got arrows in the back. I have no doubt that Makerspaces will continue to grow, but that the model will likely look closer to ours and/or public facilities sponsored by civic municipalities, and less like a corporate, for-profit business.

7 Likes

To be honest, of the people that I knew that used Tech Shops in different areas of the country, the issue wasn’t really the cost of dues. Rather, it was the time and additional cost required to get access to the tools. As our DMS members have complain that we have to many required classes to get access to certain tools, Tech Shop had an even more restrictive model. You would often have to pays hundreds of dollars and many hours in training to get access to their tools, above and beyond the cost of monthly dues. Most of my friends that used their facilities noticed this as the burn out point for their customer base. It would work out that in order to afford the training many would apply for a Job with the Tech Shop for discounts or even free training. This lead to low quality staff, that turned over constantly once they got the training they needed. Imagine having our committee heads change every month.

5 Likes

This is a good thing. None of the things tech shop did were really transferable to an organization with no employees. And frankly, even those non profits with employees are still up in the air as to their long term survive ability.

Finaly, that Tech Shop was circling the drain has been obvious for quite some time, https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/add-on-memberships/22483/124?u=wandrson

Perhaps now we can stop getting operating suggestions based upon failed models.

4 Likes

Buy up their equipment for the win!

14 Likes

Already checked https://www.renebates.com/ :wink:

I’m sure it’ll show up on some auction site soon. So all should be on the look out.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t count on it. I suspect they will use private auctions (if they bother to auction at all) and much of their infrastructure will end up with owners, senior employees, government/corporate sponsers, etc…

3 Likes

A bankruptcy judge would allow such a thing? (I’m completely ignorant of this process)

If they are going through Chapter 7 - Straight Liquidation, then anything that is owned by debtor or they have an interest becomes part of the Bankrupt’s estate (non-technical term: all their stuff). The Bankruptcy judge appoints a custodian that submits a plan for the orderly liquidation of the estate and payment of debtors and priority of payments and amounts.

People that have “secured interests” (legal term with very specific requirements, sometimes you’ll hear the term “perfected interests” - i’s dotted and t’s crossed) in the property may be able to claim it in satisfaction of the debt if sale value is less than the debt, if value is higher they are usually allowed to pay the difference based or what is bid for it.

Money is doled out as directed/agreed upon by judge and by debtors committee.

DMS would be involved when the Judge orders the custodian to liquidate it, i.e. auctioned, and we bid on it. We’d get clear title to the property.

A non-profit is trying to take over the Pittsburg location. If not Garland, what about Round Rock?
(ducks under a table)

6 Likes

Spoke to someone in Austin about their assets. Emailed the trustee and will see what’s next.

7 Likes

I was a member in Austin/ Round Rock for 2 years and spent over $1000-1300 in classes alone.

2 Likes

Which is why we should respect what we have around here…I know I never would have joined to pay college tuition prices at a place i go to unwind, that’s stress in itself…

9 Likes

Sadly, the fate of ClubWorkshop in Denver that folded a few years ago… essentially the same model as TechShop.

DMS is really unique at this point: we’ve survived long enough to have a very wide and diverse set of tools and activities. Our tools are constantly being upgraded. Our Volunteerism as allowed us to keep dues incredibly low for what you get access to.

Yes, we have some problems - but they are more a product of our success and growth. I’m not sure you could start a makerspace from scratch with large grant (would be nice) but the struggle is in the DNA even if you are not a pre-Monetary member. This truly is a unique wonderful place and experience.

13 Likes

Your classes @rablack97 would be worth those college rates.

I would prefer they learn lessons from the experience and start another more successful one.

We have to recognize that we are unique. And that we can still lose it. Many of the major decisions made along the way were correct and luck was on our side.

How to create a successful makerspace is far from settled science at this point.

4 Likes

Let that be a lesson to those who think our classes are too cheap and that there should be more rather than fewer required classes.

4 Likes