No aerosol powered spray paint is to be used at dallas makerspace, inside or out

I concur, I’d like to see the text myself to better understand the situation.

Is Axe body spray banned as well? This reminds me of the scenario where the fire marshall flipped his lid because we had a BOOK on beer brewing.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you don’t care then why bother us with your pointless rant???

3 Likes

Cermark is still available in a paste/brush on form.

2 Likes

What’s cool is they now have it in tape form. Not sure how good the coverage is. BUT DAMN it is expensive at $109 per roll of 1" x 50’ or 4" x 50’ is $427!

https://www.johnsonplastics.com/cermark-metal-marking-tape

1 Like

What I was getting at is the rule might be throwing baby out with bathwater. Clearly some small, judicious use of (spray) Cermark would not trigger the FM or anyone else.

Maybe spray stuff, e.g. Cermark, or a spray clear coat on top of a painting, could be allowed for class or ‘office hours’ purposes, for instance? I.E. under instructor supervision. This example of rule would ensure that spray whatever was occurring in very limited and controlled situations. In other words, we could save the baby.

(sniffle) Think of the children!

You could always keep a can and go use it down the street’s parking lot. I’m talking cermark not spray paint

1 Like

Maybe the nearest cemetery*? Not going to make anyone deader there :skull:

*I hear everyone is just dying to get into one of those places…

1 Like

Dad joke… snickers

1 Like

I’d be interested in reading the code… I’m thinking it’s more about controlling graffiti than controlling painting of a bicycle or other project.

However, these things are usually poorly written and overly broad.

1 Like

We certainly aren’t “home use” and as far as I can tell, there are really only two categories. Home use or business use. We will certainly fall under the business use category until a legal definition can be proven otherwise.

That said, I’m guessing that OSHA isn’t the harder hurdle, it’s going to be Carrollton Code Enforcement. We are already on their radar.

We MAY be able to claim a De Minimus exemption under TCEQ rules, but it’s going to take some lawyer-ing for sure.

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=30&pt=1&ch=116&rl=119

1 Like

Still would be good to know exactly what the regulation is. After all, if all businesses are forbidden from using aresol paint, then how do location services mark utility locations under streets, alleys, and sidewalks?

It’s probably ok with a license. Like, as a business you can’t in most jurisdictions use pesticides. A licensed exterminator can, however.

1 Like

oh ye gods, we’re becoming Kalifornia aren’t we?

3 Likes

if there actually is such a “code” - doubt there is
but if there is - one could in effect walk a little to the south and they would be in Farmers Branch yet still be in the parking lot and perform their “spray painting” activities.
They wouldn’t be "in Carrollton nor in the Makerspace - yet they would still be in the parking lot…
If so - I’d suggest doing so after normal business hours - i.e. full moon for lighting, skeleton crew, etc.

1 Like

Are we actually going to get the code posted here? Or are we just cowering in fear of another phantom?

4 Likes

I looked and looked… hadn’t been able to find it yet.

1 Like

Good evening All,

I don’t know if this will help or hurt, but I got to thinking, maybe this is not a “City of Carrollton” law/rule/ordinance, but a State level requirement. Doing a little googling, i found the following link

De Minimis for Air Emissions

which is only 1 of a couple of links on the following site

Surface Coating: Compliance Resources

While i think that given the amount of emissions that we emit as an organization/business we would fall within the “De Minimis” category, the reporting would be impossible since we would need to keep track of each and every use of such emissions. Per the link above, one of the methods of doing so is invoices/purchase orders for the organization/business and since we are a volunteer organization and don’t have centralized purchasing, this would immediately disqualify us from this categorization, which would push us into some other tier where we would have to pay to release at or below a certain level while still being required to “verify” our daily/yearly emissions. Hopefully I have added to and not diverted from the topic at hand. Everyone have a good evening.

2 Likes

The post in the BOP minutes didn’t have any context or details, and was vague, if not inaccurate. I’m not contesting the rule, but getting by-in is way more effective if the reasons are presented. Did someone get cited? Did someone check the law just to see if it was illegal. Was there an article in the paper? Did the …(said in a stage whisper) fire marshall…mentions it on his last visit.

Whoever initiated the new rule, can you shed some light on this, please?

4 Likes