No aerosol powered spray paint is to be used at dallas makerspace, inside or out

Try it. These accusations are such incredible tripe. Also, you totally misread. I’m not even going to respond. The membership can read through what I wrote and decide for themselves.

I understand your frustration, I really do. But saying stuff like that, and with tone like that, doesn’t make you one of the good guys. Just chill.

Some people’s actions have resulted in investigations by the BATF, and those persons may have been given a vacation from DMS. So you do you and do whatever you want, just don’t get us investigated or shut down. Ok?

2 Likes

You’ve already stated yourself you have been talking with TECQ about the makerspace on a matter you are not the designated representative.

Q.E.D.

2 Likes

I did not represent DMS… I gathered information to fact check what I was being told. Does not violate any DMS rules.

I understand the issue, however, nothing I do will cause any greater scrutiny of DSM than is already happening. Apparently, DSM has been a bad neighbor and the Carrollton police visited the other morning. Nothing to do with me… It appears they occasionally watch from an unmarked squad car according to another member. Might be because a few vehicles spend nights in the parking lot. Anyway, I intend to continue to find information and share it with the other members.

You were getting opinions on DMS specifically; you were representing DMS for practical purposes. DMS is not your personal home. If you went and asked about your home then so be it, but you asked specifically about the makerspace.

Given that you don’t have the background going into it this leaves inaccurate impressions on these officials as to our usage and needs, and is precisely the reason we don’t want random members calling up government officials about regulations that affect us.

Did you know that we’ve gone through 5 gallons of acetone in a 2 month span, just as metal shop? We had to get our own fire cabinet and lock it because it kept disappearing.
Did you tell them we can’t account for that? Because they now have an impression of whatever you told them regardless of accuracy.

and it wasn’t a neighbor, members / former members have been calling for one reason or another. One even put in a false fire marshal complaint under @Kriskat30 's name.

1 Like

Let me reference this

Locally some years ago, a drug store next to a paint store in a strip center caught fire
The paint store then caught and several firemen went to the hospital

This evening I made something using one of our 3D printers. While in 3D Fab I noticed an extra large cup sitting on one of the tables. The cup was approximately half full of some random beverage. The ice had melted. The cup was room temperature. Clearly it had been sitting there for some time.

The cup was less than six feet from the trash can. In order to exit the room it is necessary to walk past the trash can. If our members cannot be bothered to carry their trash less than six feet on the way out the door there is no way we will be able to keep VOC records.

7 Likes

I have been through enough ethics courses to know that asking someone to ignore law is considered unethical. (I can chose to not be involved but agreeing to hide something is a problem). And when did I ever say I would mention DMS… ?

You obviously did not read what I wrote… I DID NOT REPRESENT MYSELF AS BEING AN OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF DMS!!! plus… I NEVER MENTIONED WHAT USAGE WE HAVE OF ACETONE OR ANY OTHER SUBSTANCE… . but if you are saying you have knowledge of unlawful usage… that’s on you… for your information… I NEVER MENTIONED DMS!

Did you mention this was in the context of a makerspace?

What other makerspaces exist within the Carrollton city limits that might ask similar questions?

What are the odds that they won’t presume that these questions relate to DMS?

The representative is in Houston… He never asked.where I was.

We should \be grateful that such representatives exist. His whole focus was to answer questions without assigning blame. He just wanted to help. I was wholly impressed with his professional attitude. Something the Space could use.

Next (accusation) Question?

Perhaps you’d like to calm down a bit before typing any more on the internet today.

2 Likes

This right here indicates you were talking about the makerspace.

You keep trying to justify de minimis and get opinions from them. You are not in a position to try and determine what we qualify as. You have repeatedly said you are talking with officials about makerspace, trying to find out what they would regulate us as which would mean you are giving them an idea about operations you apparently don’t know enough about.

Never said it is unlawful usage (though whomever was taking it for something other than powder coating is getting an earful when I find out),

@steve_a ignore this crap. That rule is a terrible one in the way it has been suggested to be used and should go away. It was written to hopefully catch me, but the issue that the BOD thought was me was actually another BOD member. As long as your name isn’t Nick it is likely many of the poorest written rules of DMS will never be aimed at you.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Good news, Having reviewed the Code of Conduct rules and specifically rule #5 I find that I am well within the limits imposed and in no way at odds with this rule. In fact, I took too many precautions and probably made myself sound like a fool. Oh well. Not the first time I sounded like a fool and will correct that in the future. There is bad news however. This is an easily manipulated rule and could be used to attempt to silence criticism, dissent or even simple disagreement. It could even be used to stop legitimate questioning if misapplied. While I have no objections to the particular wording, I suggest limits be placed on this rule to tidy up the possibility of misuse. Thanks to all who have pointed this out to me as I now have a much clearer understanding and actually, a bit more freedom as I proceed.

4 Likes

it was pretty much made for that

8 Likes

We are a business. At least, in the eyes of much of the legal profession.

We charge admission, we provide training… We have accountants, security, a board of directors… It would be very hard to argue we are not a. business on paper.

1 Like