Night Shoot Event?

What do ya’ll think about having an outdoor night shoot event?

@Nick @matthshooter @Gimli @nacho

2 Likes

I’m not sure where we could do this outdoors. @Draco, did you have a place in mind?

If we are just brain storming,

I know Eagle Gun Range offers a low light shooting options where the range is darkened to minimum lighting. But, there would be no tracer shooting, as their back stop is combustible and we are indoors.

Proactive Defense, may be up to let us do a private night event. But, it will take a fair bit of planning and persuading. Also, we would likely need them to bill us as a group rather than by the person and hour as they do typically for non-members.

One item to to keep in the forefront and plan around, Shooting is expensive. Most events cost between $35 and $100 per person for range fees and ammo. Adding automatic weapons and tracer ammunition adds a multiplier of probably 3x or 4x to the cost to participate. If you have ever gone to a Full Auto Shoot, you know that $100 bills are dropping left and right to try many of the guns.

I’m just dreaming at this point …

It needs to be a place that can have some explosions and fire. I mean, if you are going to be shooting tracers, why not have something that goes boom when you hit it, right?

Yes, it would be expensive and may take some permits or something.

I’m wondering if there are some abandoned ranges that we might be able to use for an event.
Just as an example …

The skeet shooting range has been cleaned up and listed as “Response Complete, Unlimited Access”
I have no idea what it would take to get access or permits or whatever but damn it would be cool to do.

Ive used an older packaging of this stuff and its great at dusk dawn with a 22lr

1 Like

Permitting isn’t the hard part. I could pull a display permit and make much of the target mix on site. It is cost and location. Don’t forget I run a Pyrotechnic NonProfit.

1 Like

Bunny Blasto event?

1 Like

Actually, that might be a thing we could do. Good on you @Lampy.

@Draco, Bunny Blasto is a hilarious thing some of the Pyros did at PGI a few years back. They built a shooting gallery with reactive targets that lit other fireworks. They shot these targets with roman candles held is fake rifle stocks so it was safe, while getting that tracer feeling.

Here is a video of it.

I can roll an item like this into the permit and insurance for my Spring PyroFest! That way we have a location and permitting to do something cool like this. Also, I am about to launch a group buy for fireworks, so we can buy cases at 20% off of the whole sale price for product. Think 30% to 40% the price you would pay at stands. Also, I could probably get some cash support from my Pyro Group to help with costs as a couple of members have wanted to do this for a few years now.

What we would need from the DMS side:

• Reactive targets, they can be as simple as plywood cutouts.
  • A bit of money for product, thinking $300ish should get us enough roman candles. I’ll work with the group to cover Cakes and other Explosive Effects :crazy_face:.
  • Fake Stocks to hold the roman candles.

This could be a lot of fun. The event is near glen rose so it would be a drive. But, it would also be an opportunity to introduce another group to the amazing thing we do at DMS, while also adding another amazing thing we do at DMS.

What do you think Draco, up to the challenge? Is this a close enough option to your full auto night shoot? Plus, if we do this Saturday of the event, we would have full fireworks displays following the Bunny Blasto, making a full day of it.

1 Like

I think this would be great. It can be a group cross committee build effort.

The question remains … can we shoot at it?

We can use roman candles as our “firearms”.

Here are some options for roman candles to see what they do. The last one would be a premium “machine gun” option.

I’m not going to add live gun fire to the event. We have done live guns at events in the past, but it adds too much complexity on my end to handle.

By the way I would need you to do the organizing of the DMS side. I’m fully booked just making the Larger PAT event happen. Are you up for that @Draco? If not, no big deal. It would just mean less work for me if we didn’t have the bunny blasto.

Yep,

That video was from Winter Blast in Arizona. I unfortunately had to work and had already driven to Arizona and back the weekend before. I think the closed in shooting gallery, though cool looking, really limits the effects of the fireworks.

I can’t find the video anymore, but I saw another bunny blasto that had a guy in full FR gear and Motorcycle helmet driving a riding lawn mower pulling a train of targets behind him. For some reason everyone was targeting the guy on the mower instead of the targets. The last pass he made was the funniest, as he ghost rode the mower hiding beside it. Too funny.

Any movement on a possible lead for the DMS side of this?

Hey @Brandon_Green - can you drive a riding lawn mower? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

LOL,
I’m sure Brandon can take the joke. The real question is can we handle the influx of donations for a chance to be part of the event.

1 Like