News from a Former DMS Member

Merry Christmas to All… from Richard Meyer, a former member of DMS. I moved from Dallas to the Knoxville, Tennessee, area a year ago. I joined the local Amateur Radio Club, the Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club (TLARC). See what happens when you arrive late for a meeting? I was voted in as President of the Club for 2022. This is an active Club with about 60 members. It is a great bunch of men and women with a place and a purpose, just like what DMS has to offer. Last month I was in Dallas and visited DMS to see what was going on. It was nice to see the new wall construction for Blacksmith, Electrical Room, and the Amateur Radio SIG completed. The next time I visit I would like to see an operating Ham Radio Shack.

73’s
Richard Meyer - W8CNY

26 Likes

We are currently waiting for louvers to be added to the door, and access control to be installed. Art intends to add some 3 foot deep pallet rack along the front wall, operating stations under, storage over.

My personal goal is to get a 2M antenna set up on the roof and a suitable radio in the shack. Then hopefully it can reach the K5LRK repeater in The Colony, and once every 4 to 8 weeks I’ll post the LAARK training and information net as a DMS radio SIG event. Allowing DMS members to experience the net as spectators, and probably even allow them to participate as 3rd party traffic in the round table with me operating as control operator.

I’m sure you will be a great leader for that club.

KW5KB
VP LAARK

3 Likes

So cool to hear from you! Miss your comments on Talk. Very glad you are doing well in your new hood. Keep visiting DMS and please keep in touch with us!

1 Like

You may have left Texas, but there is no escaping Buc-ee’s…

Whataburger is not far behind…they are currently invading Nashville.

4 Likes

There’s one in Huntsville.AL, too! Saw a TV ad there while visiting family over Christmas. Still waiting on them to invade northern Colorado - I miss their burgers.

2 Likes

Not real close, but much closer then Texas or New Mexico…

Yep. 3.5 hours (one way) is too far to drive to service my craving, though.

1 Like

Great to hear from you Rich! I miss our times at DMS and glad to hear you are still pursuing the hobby. You made some great lasting contributions to DMS AR. I’m back in Austin and enjoying my Lake Travis. Hope we will have a QSO some day. Happy New Year, sir.

73’s,
Joe T.
KG5QVW

2 Likes

Every Texan’s favorite Chicago-owned burger chain!

(Despite 33 years here and a bit of affinity for the state, I’m not Texan and kinda laugh at Texans’ devotion to some stuff. I can’t bring myself to tell them that Blue Bell is just so-so ice cream even if listeria monocytogenes flavor is your fave.)

3 Likes

‘Natural Vanilla Bean’, sir, is nothing to besmirch. :ice_cream:

2 Likes

Bah. Haagen-Dazs vanilla bean, the New Jersey ice cream with the fake Scandinavian name, is much better. So is the harder to find Ben & Jerry’s vanilla. Both are smoother and contain more milkfat.

Kroger’s Private Selection line is outstanding. This is not to be confused with the normal Kroger brand, which is objectively shitty ice cream.

Perhaps surprisingly, 7-11’s 7-Select is on par with Private Selection and both the Lemon Meringue Pie and Banana Pudding flavors are amazingly good. The latter of these is stocked at the 7-11 by the space. I’ll getcha one if you want and put it in the space freezer.

2 Likes

The fam is all over the Costco Vanilla for this reason. It’s good, but I’m perfectly content with Blue Bell. I’m equating this to the “Birthday Cake” craze, wherein folks who remember their mothers making shitty box-mix white birthday cakes with fake vanilla flavoring and sprinkles (ugh!) are willing to pay through the nose for someone else to re-create that shittastic feeling. And Blue Bell is still cheaper. We use Homemade Vanilla (YUM - remnants from Christmas are still in the freezer awaiting us finishing up our Apple Pie and Homemade Vanilla Blue Bell tradition :yum: ).

PS: you notice the PRICE on that birthday cake thingy from Milk Bar?

Nostalgia for shitty stuff is EXPENSIVE!

2 Likes

Funny that you mention milk bar. I’m getting ready to place an order for their milk bar pie for my daughter, since I forgot to pick it up when I was in New York City couple of days ago. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hopefully they are smart enough to not mess up a good thing. That is not the case with every acquisition.

Hopefully they don’t ban ketchup. Ketchup isn’t my thing but I almost asked for it once in a Chicago dog joint. Then some scene from The Untouchables flashed in my head and not wanting to meet some neck-less enforcer, I thought better of it.

2 Likes