Newbie question, automobile maintenance

Hi!
Ricky here, what a fascinating place I’ve discovered in Dallas Makerspace!
I am an aircraft structures mechanic but almost never work on cars. I want to learn, however, to do DIY on my car.
Is there a workspace available with a lift to do work on one’s own automobile that might take an entire day to complete?
Are there people available who can assist someone who’s fairly confident in doing the work but wants guidance & help, perhaps one who’s always there at first? If it’s appropriate, acceptable and within any policy, I would make it financially well worth someone’s time in helping me.
Mainly I’d like to know if a workspace is available. I’m flexible with schedule, anytime in the 2 week period starting Monday, August 7th.
Thanks!
Ricky S

2 Likes

First off - I’m not that person. However – there is an area. Right now we’ve got room for 2 cars, and there’s one lift. You do need to plan for things that can be finished in one day, though. You can’t (shouldn’t) leave the car here when you’re not working on it, and the rules from the landlord say that you can’t leave a car over 24 hours in the parking lot. You can leave to get parts or food (leave a note with your name, phone number and when you expect to return on the windshield).

4 Likes

Also, not it, but…
Yes. We have several members who enjoy automotive work and will likely be willing to assist.
However…

Knowing more about WHAT it is we’re doing to WHICH vehicle might help some folks be more enthusiastic about the project… DIYing an oil change is much different than DIYing a transmission overhaul, for example, while in the latter category a TH400 is a different animal than an Audi 01J.

3 Likes

Ricky,

Welcome to the Makerspace! I am a former army Aviation mechanic and former Euro car mechanic (among other things). Like Jast said above-it would really help if you were a little more detailed in what you wanted to do on your car - and what year make and model car/truck it is.

Many folks are willing to lend a hand but like most - they would like to know what you are going to be working on. This is by VOLUNTEERS, paying someone is against the rules. Buy them lunch or dinner after the work is done. BE prepared to do your work in increments so you don’t have to have your car towed - because you cannot leave it at the Makerspace overnight inside or outside. So PLAN ahead.

Most folks that think a job will take a day end up taking a weekend - that is NOT a good plan.

4 Likes

Hey, thanks! I’m a career aircraft structures mechanic (I’ll be getting an A&P soon), haven’t worked on cars, but want to learn. I’m confident in learning/doing the work, but I’ll get stuck in details without help. For this job, I’ll probably hand off my car to a professional since it’s a big/complex (likely more than a day if I remove & replace the hardware) job & I’m driving a multi-thousand-mile trip in 2 weeks. I’m deleting the EGR and DPF in my VW TDI (diesel). I’ll probably remove the parts, too & replace them with a pre-mapped kit. I’ve had check engine light for a while & lost 10-15 MPG. I ran codes & know DPF/EGR is the problem. I want that mileage back for my long trip.
Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to this thread. I’ll be more prompt in the future.
TLAR, if you’re familiar with what I’m doing & have any insight you’d like to offer I’ll take it. We can PM if you’d like, because of the nature of the work. I’ve been weighing the pros/cons of doing this to my car and so far, the pros win.
Thanks, Ricky

1 Like

Just want to thank you for the reply. I hadn’t linked DMS to any “normal” communications options I use so I almost forgot about this post! I’ve got a full plate every day right now & it’s easy to forget or neglect new things I jump into! I’ll be more attentive & prompt to communication surrounding DMS in the future.
A weird question, should I thank individuals for replies or is a like sufficient? I’m offering my thanks dryad2b also, right here.

2 Likes

Not weird at all when new to a venue. We (by which I mean "I " and maybe some others I can’t truly speak for) thank you for positive expressions regardless of how they’re delivered. Like is good. Post to say “Thank you” is good. A friendly nod should we meet in person… all good. :+1:

Naming a name can carry more verve when turned into a tag by adding the @ to the front. Then it notifies them. Like here @dryad2b will now get notified I’ve tagged her and this will draw her attention…

I hope we’ve been helpful in your quest…

2 Likes

Ricky, I know how busy one can be in the real world! You have a later TDi than mine as I have no tree hugging DPF in my 04 wagon.

Again, welcome to the Makerspace.

1 Like

Ricky,
I sent you a PM with contact information. You going to need a “tune” for your TDI. Just so you know those modifications require dropping the subframe - fairly involved work.

1 Like