New Woodshop Class Structure Coming Soon!

In that case, you’re a responsible adult and you can re-take the class.

I believe the issue is whether other people who believe they don’t need remedial training should be forced into another 4.5 hours of training.

6 Likes

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

I would also like to reiterate, I have no problems with the class structure and I think it’s a great improvement providing you can get the throughput of members through.

My issue is whether I have to spend another 4.5 hours in classes because things are changing. I’ve been approved, I’ve used the equipment, I’ve yet to break anything and I feel like making me re-take the classes because some group of people are tearing up the equipment is a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

1 Like

If we do go about re-requiring training I think one of the most important pieces of the process will be notifying everyone who is currently signed off with woodshop basics. For the casual member who doesn’t use talk and may only come into DMS ever 2-3 months, we want to make every effort possible to inform them of the needed training before they show up one day to work in woodshop. That user would find their access expired and we run a risk of them canceling their membership instead of re-taking the training. This may be a situation worth snail-mailing a notice to all signed off members, or at the least sending an email to those members. I don’t know that talk and a posted update in the shop will suffice. I apologize I haven’t made any committee meetings lately, I will make it a higher priority to find the time to make the next meeting.

2 Likes

That is probably very conservative

1 Like

I have a practical concern about this.

At some point, the current woodshop area will be affected in order to construct the corridor(s) across into the new space. About five feet will be lost on the west end and maybe ten on the east end. Not knowing the construction schedule, are either or both of these going to be done before woodshop moves to its new home? If so, will that affect the ability to teach these classes?

@John_Marlow , can you reveal that part of the schedule?

2 Likes

Some thoughts on this discussion thus far without usage data.

Currently there are 900+ active members with woodshop access.
Lets assume roughly 1/3 use the woodshop regularly.
That is 300 members.
Classes so far have taken in approx 6 people per class.
That is 50 classes for this group to get trained in one class.
150 classes to be trained fully to use the woodshop again.

A couple of items to note here. Retraining folks is not free.
It costs DMS $100 per class.
Extended cost is $15000 just to retrain 300 people.

One thing the calculation doesnt take into account is scheduling of people.
Assuming 5 classes a week. That is 10 weeks to get people through WS1 only.

Instructors are at a premium. Depending on how the classes are structured it would delay many people from using the woodshop that previously had access.

Questions that I believe answers.

What kind of data do we collect on breakage/faliures?
What kind of money have we spent on repairs in the woodshop in the last month? Last year?
How many labor hours have been expended?
Sawstop cartridges consumed?
Saw blades?
Etc.

I think with more data we could more accurately decide if this is the best course of action.

I would believe that the approach of requiring those who have broken tools or otherwise be retrained. The biggest issue we have now and will continue to have is what constitutes an incident requiring retraining. I understand that nobody wants to be a discplinarian. Nor do they want to review video to find out what happened. With that being said, I believe the fairest course of action to all is to help the folks that need the retraining rather than an exercise in retraining all. Group retraining is exorbitant in cost and negatively impacts the space unnecessarily.

As more data comes to light more effective opinions can be drawn!

11 Likes

What if we have a key fob or QR code quiz available to all current users for a period of time that must be passed in order to have their permissions grandfathered to the shop? I would be ok with that, and I’m feel confident that the committee can come up with something similar in time to get most, if not all of the current woodshop members grandfathered in before the new woodshop is complete.

7 Likes

Why does it cost $100 per class?

Agreed. Merely pointing out that the population in need of remedial training is notably larger than some assume.

Honorariums

Honorariums.

Its $50 to the teacher and $50 to the committee. Or $100 to the committee.

2 Likes

He’s referring to the class honorarium dollar figure doled out by DMS per class.

Yes! Do not create a disincentive to reporting tool breakage!

Just a thought. You could do RFID lockouts, keep the current AD. If someone reports Equipment broken or damaged without it being reported, you will have just a couple people to look at for the the issue. Stipulate that if you see it broken or damaged before you use it, report it so it’s not on you.

1 Like

Has Moodle been considered as a refresher option?

1 Like

Metal Shop has just been using a google Survey, and once you answer the questions correctly you get the code to unlock the grinder. If you answer questions incorrectly it gives you an explanation of why that was the wrong choice (for instance on aluminum on the grinding wheels it explains the explosion risk and shows a youtube video).

Maybe something like that?

Which of these items are allowed on the planer/joiner? Nope, not nails because it nicks up the blade.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good option as well. Just asking about moodle as I know DMS has had it setup for a while, but doesn’t seem to have really been put to good use.

Metal shop is where I got the idea for the QR code quiz. Are there any objections to this being put to a vote and made a more concise answer at the next committee meeting? I feel like it would prevent the bottleneck that would likely occur without any kind of grandfathering clause.

4 Likes

None from me, thanks for your hard work on the restructure!

1 Like