New welding table

I’ve offered to research a new welding table for Lee. The goal is to fiind one with holes for holding work in place. And of course a flat working surface.
I like this one: strong hand tma5783. Comes in various sizes . Can be expanded. Has holes.accessories available.
Would like to find one with slots and hold.
I checked in with metroplec, they carry nothing heavy duty…
Ideas and ideas welcome.
Bones

There are some DIY weld together kits available pretty cheap. https://weldtables.com You can even add wings on to the side of them.

5 Likes

Link for the lazy: http://stronghandtools.com/buildpro/main_products.php

Those look really expensive.

And the weight quite a bit more too.

Both of these options are really designed to use with additional fixtures (clamps, stops, etc…). I suggest when we proceed on the decision process we include a reasonable supply of those fixtures so that the additional features of the table (slots/holes) can be used effectively when compared to our current table.

3 Likes

Any consideration given to whether we could use the CNC Plasma (or handheld plasma) to simply add some fixture holes to the current table rather than replacing the whole thing?

#birdinthehand

We need 2 welding tables, as we’ll have two welding setups once the Miller 250 is back online.

(edit: Wow. Ok. $2300 for 3x4 table. Perhaps not.)

1 Like

The tables I put a link to were very inexpensive. I doubt we could build them for what they cost. Additionally it’s all keyed & fits together. They guarantee it being +/-.015 flat tolerance when assembled the way they say it.

Here is an assembly video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=31L4VTfFH1A

4 Likes

Wow, if I ever find most of the floor space in my garage again, I think one of those 30x30s from weldtables will find a new home!

Not sure what the right size is for the second welding bay, but those do look like a good option. The strong hands stuff is really nice, but I don’t think you get that much more for what you pay.

1 Like

Now, now. This is the Dallas Makerspace. Everybody repeat after me, channel your inner Brandon…

THIS is the table (and cost) for Dallas Makerspace

An order of magnitude more expensive then the strong hands table. And here is one of their advertisements…

Well the strong hands is guaranteed flat to within +/- 0.004. Don’t know if that extra is needed or worth nearly five times the price, but it is a difference…

As I said, in either case we should also include in the budget the extra tooling that makes use of those slots/holes…

2 Likes

Another option

2 Likes

Saw this at metroplex if others would like to check it out. I though it was a nice unit but, felt a larger, more flexible work surface more important than drawers and shelves.

1 Like

This actually started when I asked Lee if we could either level the existing table top or weld a new one over it.
The beauty of a prefab top is the holes are standard size and spacing. (Best of my limited knowledge)
As mentioned below there are plenty of clamps, tools, available either as packages or individual purchases.

Last I knew, the current table is a loaner (although when I inquired about whether we should get our own, I was met with similar nonchalance as to when one inquires about the PlasmaCAM being on loan…)
Point being, I think we’re not “in the clear” to modify it.
Additionally, I think purchasing a new one with holes in it and a factory trued surface is a better solution, but that’s just one guy’s opinion.

This got me wondering, if both welders were using the same polarity (electrode positive for instance) would there be any issues if they shared the same large table?

What would happen if they shared the same table and had different electrode polarities? Say DCEP, and AC or DCEP and DCEN?

1 Like

I wonder, too…
Having 2 welding tables to accommodate both welders seems largely irrelevant since they
A. can’t both be plugged in at once
B. certainly cannot both be run at once

But, I guess it would allow simultaneous fixturing…

We need another drop, yes. Classes should be generating enough $ to fund this, I would think.

1 Like

I believe we are out of available power without tapping into another shared source of power.

1 Like

If we’re staying in this building (likely), then we shouldn’t be shackled by power problems. If we need to build out more capacity, then now is the time to start.

Time to upgrade! :slight_smile:

Edit: Luke has some data on the service capacity available from our electrical provider.

1 Like

I have another question: Can we run two welders at once and support that electrical load?

Thinking 2 welders and plasma cam or induction heater on, are we good?

1 Like