New Rule to Keep Committee Rules Avaliable

I have proposed a new rule to help keep committee rules available to all members.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20180521#Update_Rule_9.3.6.1_Committee_Responsibilities_and_Rules_.28Mike_Cole_.22Draco.22.29

The current rule:

Rule 9.3.6.1

Each committee will need to maintain a page on the wiki with at least the following information:

1. The name of the committee chair
  2. A list of all active members
  3. A brief statement listing the goals or tasks assigned to the committee.
  4. The category tag: [[Category:Proposed Committees]]

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Committee_Responsibilities_and_Rules

My proposed rule would add ā€œ5. All rules made by the committee for committee areas and equipment.ā€

1 Like

I think this needs clarification. I would not require equipment-specific rules to be listed in the wiki. For instance, Wood Shop has just decided to limit sanding on the drum sander to exclude sanding on the outer 2" of the roller. Technically thatā€™s a rule. I sure wouldnā€™t want them to be required to put that rule on the wiki and maintain it. And I would be surprised if anyone would read all that stuff.

However any equipment rules that are committee-wide would be fair game. For instance, Machine Shop says no gloves on running machinery (and the exact wording may have changed, so donā€™t argue the details of the machine shop rule here). Thatā€™s a committee-wide equipment use rule so it could be in the wiki.

In addition, I think there needs to be a specific timeframe delineated. If the motion passes, itā€™s not reasonable to expect that committees will have their rules posted the following day.

Then this is a problem because if someone got certified a year ago and now comes in, where are they suppose to go to find the updated rules? Do they need to take the class again? Should groups expire? How is the board / legal team to know what rules are currently in place?

1 Like

This sounds reasonable.

Iā€™m talking about things that are specifically posted on machines with signs on the machines - like my example about not using the edge 2" on the drum sander. If we post every single rule like that on the wiki then it will get too long to read.

I agree with you about committee-wides rules, but for machine-specific rules I think that at some point signage on machines is adequate.

I think we may mean the same thing but we may be arguing about wording. IMO things that are considered a ā€œbannable offenseā€ should be documented in the wiki. But we have a lot of tiny little lesser rules - typically related to how to use one specific machine that (again IMO) would be adequate if they were marked on the machine.

The way I envision it, is the wiki has sections. It is really good at sectioning off things.
Each tool could have its own section and the rules that pertain to it. I donā€™t see this as difficult.
I would be willing to educate people on how to make this happen.

The person using the tool could go to the wiki and jump to the section for the tool they are about to use and get any information they needed about it, such as that they need to take a class to use it. Or they shouldnā€™t sand on the edge.
The wiki has been called the true source for information comparing it to talk.
I think the committees should continue with that.

I agree there needs to be a time to implement. Once it is implemented, it shouldnā€™t be much trouble to go in and add a new rule now and then.

We could even put QR codes on the equipment linking it to the section on the wiki page. I believe Stan even has a label printer.

And Iā€™m not saying that it canā€™t be marked on the machine.

I think we need a class on the wiki and how to use it effectively but things have gotten alot easier since Luke installed the word like editor.

Iā€™m surprised you of all people are suggesting NOT to use the wiki. If itā€™s too much bother to write something down in a centralized location, how worthy of being a rule is it?

6 Likes

Iā€™m only debating the definition of a rule that needs to be documented on the wiki. Committee-wide rules should be on the wiki. Iā€™m suggesting that machine-specific rules do not need to be documented on the wiki - unless there is a machine-specific rule that constitutes a bannable offense.

Since many of the committees donā€™t seem to have a lot of members who either can or will maintain the wiki, a rule that only requires committee-wide rules on the wiki is a good starting place. Itā€™s more than we have now and itā€™s going to catch the critical items. Requiring every machine-specific rule to be on the wiki is just going to push committees away from documenting anything.

I spend hours, every day maintaining the wiki. I can see that without a careful definition of what needs to be documented on the wiki, there will be a huge amount of effort to maintain trivial rules. Everyone else is free to step up and volunteer some time to do this.

@halachal - which committees do you frequent? You could help maintain all the machine-specific rules that this would include.

Machine-specific signage is adequate for any machine-specific rule. For instance, the Shapeoko has a sign on it that says ā€œno cutting oilā€. Come on now ā€¦ does that really have to be on the wiki? On the other hand, there are committee-wide rules (like No gloves in Machine Shop) that merit documenting on the wiki.

Unless carefully written, the rule proposed above creates a documentation nightmare that doesnā€™t help anyone do any making.

5 Likes

I agree that it could. How about something like this, any equipment specific rules going forward need to go onto the wiki and this way they donā€™t have to go through all the trouble of updating every little piece?

1 Like

Local tool placards placed on or near each tool with training matrix rating, basic/primary safety & usage rules, and with QR code that takes you to tool-specifc information on the Wiki (manual, videos, rules, tips/tricks, etc.).

2 Likes

How much better awareness can there be than posted on the machine in front of the operator?

2 Likes

I like the idea of placards rather than paper and tape. It looks more professional and they would all be the same throughout the space. We have the tools to make them. PR might love them. However, I think something like this was tried in the past. Are you willing to take up the task?

1 Like
  • I have seen many perspective members want to know the rules regarding things and everyone seems to have a different opinion when they ask and the person that knows for certain may not be available to ask. We are not always at the space.
  • The wiki is the one true source of information. I have been told this over and over again.
  • People of different areas could now be of help because the rules are clearly laid out in the wiki.
  • We will have a record of the rules and changes to the rules via wiki history for legal reasons
  • There will now be a way to subscribe to rules changes via the notifications on the wiki
  • It will be consistent throughout the space

So itā€™s an aesthetics thing: Placard vs Tape. Not the information being conveyed. I would say that Machine Shop prefers functional over aesthetics.

There are places on machines that placards canā€™t be attached but tape or adhesives put it right in line of sight.

Not everything is uniform around the space: bandsaws. Wood Shop requires training before they can be used, Metal and Machine Shop does not. They are used differently for different types of material and types of cuts, each committee has determined, based on their experience, what that should be.

Not my proposed rule but @mblatz suggestion which doesnā€™t really have anything to do with the proposed rule.

Nope. Completely unwilling, in fact. Most of what I just mentioned has been suggested or tried in the past but failed or died aborning. Thereā€™s a reason why this happens so much here. When the underlying structural/organizational issues that cause these situations are addressed, I might then be willing to again commit my time, effort, intellect, and precious bodily fluids. Unfortunately such fixes include fixing human nature, in particular the willingness to become a free rider when circumstances allow it. Thereā€™s a reason why only about ~50 people at DMS account for about ~95% of the ā€œemployeeā€ activities and responsibilities that all members are all responsible for.

~50 (my estimate, might be as high as 100). Out of ~1800 paying (not necessarily active) members. Think about it.

This isnā€™t really the thread to discuss all of this, though.

2 Likes

The vast majority of new members donā€™t even know about wiki. The search function on the wiki is, well letā€™s just say not robust and effective. Reality: people arenā€™t going to go to the wiki every time they use something and read it, they routinely donā€™t read what is on or near the machine - but at least they canā€™t say werenā€™t told. Work area signage and labels are their responsibility to look at and obey.

Something posted on the machine is pretty hard to miss and shows itā€™s importance.

Again, this is not replacing putting signs on the machines. There should be signs on the machine. There should also be a way for others to go some place and find out the rules before they drive long distances to find out they canā€™t do what they wanted to do. Not everyone uses all parts of the space often. I do think that Chrisā€™s suggestion of it being too much trouble in going back and putting all rules for all equipment that were made in the past is correct. I will change the proposed rule to that effect. But going forward, I donā€™t see any reason not to update the wiki with new rules as they come out. They announce them on Talk, why not the true source on the wiki?

Not against updating the wiki. (If the search function can be made more effective that will go a long way in increasing itā€™s usefulness)

What is put on the tools should continue to be a committee decision as they are the most qualified and empowered to control their use.

1 Like