New Python Class Is On Calendar

Yes - there are at least 6 working Raspberry Pi 3 (I’m pretty sure either the base 3 or the 3+ and not the newer variants). We also have enough memory cards (10-12?) to run all of them in a classroom setting.

1 Like

3D fab has a few they might can loan

1 Like

New section has filled up. Perhaps I need to add a third section in the future?

3 Likes

So, an update. I’ll probably keep it to 2 sections for now, as the classes get longer and as the material gets more in-depth. I might do an additional section on a different day, but I’m not sure. I had some no-shows to both sections, so I might hold off a bit on that for now.

1 Like

So, I’m down to 2 students now (and we had a good time on Sunday). Had one no show on me, so I wasn’t eligible for honorarium. I can now see firsthand why a lot of DMS teachers quit after a while, since it stings to feel like your time is wasted.

Maybe we need to rethink the way that honorarium works? I get that the old system was abused, so we need restrictions, but the current implementation creates this adversarial system where teachers feel directly slighted by no-shows and cancellations, as if I get no shows / late cancellations, I feel like money is being directly taken away from me.

I don’t need the money (I mostly teach for member dues), but maybe another way would be to abstract the financial aspect a bit? Maybe waive membership and give out free merch instead of payments and rework the requirements? I believe that was the original intent of the system. And for the people that do need the income, we can do scholarships?

I’m not sure, these are just some ideas I’ve thrown, but I think the current system kills most desire I have to teach “niche” classes for underutilized spaces and as a teacher, I feel heavily penalized/burdened for no fault of my own. It seems like this system will not work if we want to expand the role of teaching and attract more teachers to fill out the calendar.

This is mostly just me venting my frustrations as a teacher, but I do think we need to address the issue at some point.

I’m aware that I can privately charge students for a class, but since I’m halfway in, this leaves me in an awkward position where I need to start charging for the rest of the material, teach for no honorarium for the next 3 months, or outright cancel the class, none of which are ideal.

4 Likes

Multi-part classes are always a challenge. Serial classes are extra difficult as they require a serious commitment from the attendees, miss one class and you’re behind. Teaching programming, without even a Blinky LED has very little direct payoff for most people. This is why make and take classes are the gaining support. They are not serial, but the student gains additional knowledge each class. Maybe you can teach Python as part of an ESP32 class. Maybe show how a very simple vision project works. Or maybe how you can take snap shots from a camera board. They will have to slog through advanced topics, such as data structures and lists. They will learn things, but it will be interactive.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m planning on restructuring my course so that it - in theory - has standalone classes rather than being sequentially linked. Now that I’m getting to flow control, I can do simple projects, such as a calculator or a guessing game, and maybe moving onto tic-tac-toe or something.

I’ll probably leave modules and frameworks for after I finish the fundamentals and get some simple projects up.

2 Likes

@simurghi - As we discussed, I think it is wonderful that you want to do an in-depth coverage of Python but that is hard to do at DMS.

After I read your note a couple replies up, I was thinking of how I could make a suggestion that could work in the DMS structure. You next reply really nailed it. If folks with minimal or no Python background can come in, learn about the language and jump into a fun program, it should be very successful. That is similar to the model I use for microcontroller classes. Based on experience in my classes, I would expect that there will be a number of people return for future classes on different subjects and learn even more about the programming language.

1 Like

It might be a bit difficult , since beginner TUI programs don’t have the wow factor that RGB LEDs on the arduino do. I was thinking of maybe rock paper scissors since tic TAC toe is a bit more advanced.

1 Like

I’ve put up a class on calendar and we’re going to make a simple rock-paper-scissors game.

I’m not going to get much into depth about loops, but I’ll make a basic boolean “while game running” for our purposes.

2 Likes

I just grabbed the first seat! Looking forward to the class.

2 Likes

Perfect. In case you need to use your own laptop, I’d recommend downloading Pycharm for your IDE. Using the stock Python interpreter with IDLE also works, since we’re not going to be doing anything too complicated.

1 Like

The first game I compiled is high/low guessing:

You made some good moves such as not defining it as a multi-part class. However, “Attendees require approval from the event host” may be keeping some from signing up.

It may be better to list the prerequisites for each individual class and let them decide whether to enroll or they can study before the class to get ready.

1 Like

The approval part is necessary since I’ve had too many no shows.

I’ll probably throw up a topic on talk later today to go over the essentials for the class so I can get more people to sign up.

2 Likes

I do not understand.

Your latest class shows “9 spaces of 12 available” meaning that if nobody else registers, you have no, zip, zero, nada room for error in making the honorarium. By “punishing” those who may have no-showed you in the past, you may also be possibly punishing yourself by not letting them make it up to you this time.

At least you have set the limit high enough that potential no-shows do not block an earnest student who is late to register…

1 Like

If this is the issue… then change platforms and teach them how to program the ESP32 with microPython because it is the new sexy in this space. Note: I’m not sure of the best board, maybe one with an on board LED or screen. The expressif has nice support for the platform. I expect @artg_dms would at least consider supporting this idea since you have demonstrated a track record of following through with your classes.

1 Like

That’s fine. I’d rather have no honorarium outright than have people ghost me and still receive no honorarium. That way, my expectations are set beforehand.

We’re adults here. I get that life happens, but the least you could do is keep me informed. If you don’t send me a message beforehand or after explaining why you couldn’t make it to my class, then that says a lot.

I spend a lot of time working on class material and lectures. Would it be fair to my students if I decided to not show up and give no explanation or email?

Yeah, I might look into hardware at some point if TUI isn’t enough. Barring that, I might just cut back the course to once a month or something since it’d be hard to restart the class from scratch.

Looks like seats are still available!

Today went well. Had 2 new people show up and we worked on a guessing game and rock paper scissors.

The former I wrote the code ahead of time while the latter we worked on line by line. Lecture was pretty dense as I talked a lot about boolean logic (no way avoiding it with conditional tests) , but people seemed to enjoy the games.

6 Likes