New Python Class Is On Calendar

Hello everyone,

Given the popularity of the first class I taught, I’ve opened up a new session for my Python Crash Course class with a one lecture offset on Sunday, February 5 @ 1:45 P.M. CST. This should help with potential scheduling constraints if you can’t make it to any one individual class.

If anyone has any recommendations on more advanced topics, let me know. I was thinking about doing something with Pygame in the future, but I don’t think our computers are setup to do game development.

4 Likes

Many thanks for stepping up and teaching. We can adjust the software on the class room computers if need be.

1 Like

Currently, it is good with the beginner class, as I got infrastructure to install pycharm community edition and Python 3.10, so I don’t think we’re deficient on any software.

For game development, I would need PyGame (though I suppose we could do user level installs through pip), git bash for version control, and some build software like PyInstaller, Nuitka3, or Py2Exe for releases. I might look into Monogame/FNA as frameworks since those are more commonly used in the industry than PyGame.

Does something like Anaconda help with this? I think it’s data science focused, that’s how I’ve used it in the past, but wondered.

Are you talking about using conda for package management? Anaconda comes in with a built-in python interpreter, but that’s all I’ve used it for. I see that conda-forge has pygame and p2exe packages on anaconda’s website, so I could download it there, but I have no experience with the cogsci user repository.

Hello,
I am not currently a member of Dallas Makerspace. Would it be okay if I attended this course?

The class is free an open to the public, but you need to sign a liability waiver form before you can enter the building if you have not done so.

Where would I be able to sign it?

Waivers are signed using one of the ipad kiosks in the lobby. Typically the class host will arrange entry to the lobby (and beyond if needed).

Okay, thank you.

Yes, conda. It was a random thought given the use case of the classroom computers needing to support many potential users and needs. Conda might help keep things organized and allow for those with regular user rights to do what they need to do.

1 Like

I can try it out. Do we not have access to pip?

You should have pip access at the user level assuming I had installed things correctly. I think I also installed Git + Git Bash on all those computers at one point…but might be wrong.

I’m not sure if user level PyGame would break the build software, since it needs to include libraries into the executable file. I’ve always installed them at root level, so I don’t have experience with that.

It should be okay from some of the reading I’ve done… But if you want after your next set of classes, I should be around and we can take a look/give it a shot.

Sounds good.

Here is a big Thank You to @simurghi for kicking off a great series of classes. It was wonderful to see your original announcement and even more so to see the enthusiasm for the classes and your addition of more.

I try to never miss an opportunity to encourage others to share their knowledge by offering a class, especially electronics, programming, microcontrollers,… I believe that the huge number of pre-Covid classes we had were a big part of our wild growth. It’s exciting to see the increasing number of entries on the calendar. If you need a little more incentive, DMS awards techers a $50 honorarium if you meet a few simple criteria.

Need an idea? Here is my recent thread requesting suggestions for classes.

1 Like

It’s my pleasure. Do we have any arduinos and raspberry pis available for use at the DMS? I know we use some for the Shapeko, but any available for programming? I haven’t checked in a while, but they hard to find due to covid. Have they gotten more accessible now?

1 Like

@artg_dms has some in the Electronics Lab available to teachers. Art is great to work with and is open to acquiring more as needed. Check what is available, come up with a plan and make your case to Art for additional supplies needed.

I chose to furnish all parts for my classes but totally support the idea of ELab developing a supply to make it easy for others to start training.

2 Likes

I would need to get more familiar with the raspberry pi first. Maybe I could do a unix class on it down the line or figure out some good beginner projects like you’ve done. I’ve done a little bit with the Sense Hat, but that’s it.

1 Like