New Metal Shop Sign

Hey guys, made a quick mock up of new signage for the metal shop, based on Randy’s comments in the committee meeting. I was too lazy to add each process to each sign, but generally you can see the WELD sign is made from the different welding processes, GRIND could be ground in, Strip could take advantage of the stripping cabinet, and CUT could be done on the plasma cutter, etc.

Let me know what you think

2 Likes

What about the sheet metal (shaping) processes?

Did Kevin install the proper pole for cabinets to use? I didn’t think his were that heavy-duty…

4 Likes

I was thinking more long term, once the metal shaping stuff has moved into laser’s current space

Good start. Parts of it need to be 3D, I was picturing the words being made from sheet metal about 3" deep.

Mig, Tig welded with the name process.
A few letters made from nuts and bolts and scrap somewhere on the sign.

And for anyone not at the meeting the inspiration came from woodshop, they have a wooden sign, ours is printed on vinyl, serves the purpose but kinda lame.

3 Likes

I should be back in town around Wednesday and I’ve got a couple of ideas that I’ll start playing with when I get back in town.
To be honest, this is a project I’ve been wanting play around with, just have not had time in the last 6 months.

Do we have an established timeline of when this would like to be completed or is it kind of an open free-for-all at the moment?

Free for all timing, can be done anytime in stages. I was thinking putting a sheet of metal pegboard up so we could hang stuff up in stages

Maybe make it a competition open to everyone? Use it as a recruiting tool to get people into the metal shop, etc, kind of like those wood boards hanging in the hall. Set out a couple basic parameters (must be 6”x8”, must say one of these words, etc), and could possibly go to one of the scrap yards to get coupons for people to use?

1 Like

The 10x10 art hanging up in the hallway wasn’t a competition as far as I knew.
That was a call for anyone that wanted to to make something to display for tour groups that were through to see.

1 Like

I doubt we would have enough people interested to call it a competition and I wouldn’t want someone to go to the trouble of making something and then not use it. So might be easier to pick the words, rough font size and fabrication method then people can pick a letter and make it.

So this will be more of a collaborative art piece, and I think we have two spare metal pegboards so there will be room to hang other stuff around the perimeter like examples of some of the class projects.

@Team_Metal_Shop

6 Likes