New Member setup Key FOB

Hi there,

New member here. I’m coming tonight for the Woodshed Basics class and was wondering what steps I need to take to finish setting up my account and acquiring a key fob? I looked through the 411 page a few times, but either missed instructions for this or there isn’t any instruction there for this.

Additionally I’d love to speak with someone about how to get more involved. Happy to help out on maintenance days. How to volunteer to teach classes on subjects I’m versed in, and how to get involved in ongoing projects. I’m checking the events page frequently, and I know things are just now coming back online post COVID. But any help is appreciated.

I live close by, so I’m really stoked about getting involved.

Thanks
James

1 Like

It’s definitely not an easy to locate place. I remember seeing the new member procedure once and then I could not find it again no matter where I looked. Basically when you come in as a new member, you have to sign a waiver and then create a Makerspace account with the same email on the waiver. After that, you can register a key fob to your account with the computers we have on site. From there, every time you take a training class, it’s noted on your account that you are allowed to use those tools

1 Like

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/New_Member_411

and

:smiley:

1 Like

Awesome thank you!

1 Like

This is in the “Welcome” email received after signing up. It should read roughly thusly:
yournamenere,

Welcome to Dallas Makerspace!
The username “yourusername” requested during sign up has been used to create your dms.local account.

These steps must be completed to grant full access to the premises and begin your making journey with DMS’ tools:

• The Liability Waiver must be signed IN PERSON at the 'Space using a kiosk in the lobby
  • An RFID access FOB/Card must be claimed from The Common Room and configured per these instructions.

Both of these steps require access to the building. One easy way to accomplish this goal is to attend an Open Tour on Saturday from 10AM-2PM{just changed to NOON}. Another way is to browse to our Talk forum and create a new account (if you do not already have one) to post a request for assistance to get into the building, get/configure a FOB, and, if you are interested, a personal tour. Posting a couple of days/times that work well for you and any specific areas of interest can help match up a volunteer.

NOTE This membership will automatically renew one day before expiration.

For more information please read the New Member 411 page or post to Talk with any questions.

someonatdms

So will I need to arrange to be let in for the woodshop basics class this evening?

Yes.
That may be as simple as coat-tailing someone coming in the door anyway, but if you’re a bit AR & like to have a plan (more “engineering-side” of DMS members than “artist-side”) that can probably be solidified here.
But yes. Entry & waiver signing are a must for members to take the class. FOB work can be done later… :+1:

Great thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

James, since I’ll be teaching the woodshop basics class tonight, I’ll likely be there a little early, like around 5:15 or so. I can look for you at the door and help you with the fob.

Doug

2 Likes

Awesome, @dougbcave thanks so much! I’m aiming to be there around 5:30.