New Makerspace creator wanting info on Thunder Laser NOVA devices @team_laser

Hello DMS!

I’m brand new here. Unfortunately I’m not close enough to be able to go to your makerspace, but I love what I see! I’m currently involved in the planning and development of a new university makerspace for the university I work with here in Texas. I was wondering what the general experience with these machines has been for everyone that’s used them. Any problems that make this not worth purchasing? Any plusses? Should we just shut up and buy it? :slight_smile:

I’ve looked into comparable American systems and the prices are very high, considering what you get. These NOVA systems seem to pack a lot of features and high wattage lasers for a cost effective price. I’ll be happy to hear any feedback from anyone who has used them.

Thanks in advance,

Eden

@team_laser

4 Likes

Welcome to DMS Eden! @sixvolts and @JoshW, do you have specific guidance to provide?

My take as Former Vice-Chair of the Laser Committee is that they are a great value for the money, but they do incur a lot of maintenance work to keep them running when they are being run 24x7 for months at a time.

Good Luck!

Scott

7 Likes

I would add that a makerspace environment is hard on any equipment regardless of the “quality.” The makerspace in the Lewisville Library went with US built high end laser and they have as many issues as we have had with the chinese lasers. It is the users that are the “problem.” Train them well and you might just get great service from your choice. :wink:

3 Likes

You definitely get what you pay for. These are good middle of the road machines. They will take abuse, but then the machine will become a consumable.

Be careful about comparing the wattage numbers. Glass tubes (like in the Thunders) and RF tubes like an Epilog or Universal are completely different. A 40w RF laser is very powerful, and would probably be close to the same usability as a 100W glass tube for actual cutting ability. That’s not super scientific, but this is my experience from spending several years working with them.

Be prepared to get creative on service parts too. Thunder USA and China do respond, but lead times can be long and be sure to investigate other options for Lenses and mirrors. Cloud Ray has been great.

If you can, clean it every day. Seriously.

5 Likes

There’s a definite difference in quality between the Nova and a high end US made machine. US machines use RF tubes which have much longer life, the software interface is generally easier to use, and the mechanics will remain calibrated last longer.

The Nova machines have a much lower barrier to entry, and replacement parts are cheaper. They tend to take more maintenance than expensive models. I can’t say why we picked them, but the reason we’ve stayed with them is that they’re cheap, and given the relative inexperience of our user base there’s a great concern that something catastrophic would happen to an expensive laser and render it unrepairable.

5 Likes

These are great responses! Very informative. I didn’t even realize there was a difference with RF tubes and glass tubes. That could definitely make a difference.

@sixvolts Excuse my ignorance here (I promise I’ll learn more). Do they use a different term for RF lasers? Or is that the same thing as a fiber laser? I think I’m getting confused.

Also, what do you recommend as far as cleaning procedures for these? I want to be thorough.

2 Likes

Fiber lasers are a completely different category for marking metals. I don’t know much about those.

CO2 RF tubes are sometimes called “solid state” lasers. Instead of a giant glass tubes, they have a precision machined shape that helps create the beam. They tend to have much smaller dot size and can engrave much finer detail. The zing at the space is an RF tube.

As for daily cleaning, make sure the lens and mirrors are clean. Any build up on the lens can reduce performance and result in a cracked lens pretty quickly. It helps a lot if you have plenty of exhaust to help evacuate any smoke or debris.

Happy to answer any other questions. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@sixvolts

Thanks so much for that information, as I’m a complete newb and having to get rid of my learning curb very quickly :wink: Basically, we have a budget we might lose before the end of the fiscal year and we’re trying to learn about and order as many devices as we can before we lose money. Isn’t the government grand?

Anywho, thanks so much for your help. That makes a lot more sense now. I’ll definitely have more questions, I’m sure. For now I’m just going to grab a bunch of quotes and keep doing my research. Your tips about cleaning will definitely come in handy!

Well maybe you can help us with government grants :wink:

1 Like
  • Hefty downdraft ventilation to remove smoke from beam path
  • Vent to outside (fumes can be stinky/irritating even when not toxic)
  • Have a budget to pre-buy replacement parts (esp. lenses) and maintenance supplies
  • Keep it clean/maintained
  • Control what materials are allowed (PVC is both toxic and corrosive to electronics/metal when burned, for example)
  • Develop a set of material settings and make available to new users. Update as laser ages.
  • Train/monitor users (ex: no food, no body parts - both have been done at DMS in the past)
  • CO2 extinguishers handy (and full) - fire in the machine is a real, persistent risk (downdraft helps)
1 Like

@Lampy Pft. I’m honestly not much better at it. I’ve been waiting 2 years for word back on something I applied for. These are budgeted funds I was referring to, luckily. But budgeted funds can easily be swiped by others at the university or elsewhere. You must spend, spend, spend, before you lose, lose, lose. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, just let me know. I’ll try to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

@HankCowdog

Solid advice. I’m going to keep notes of all that you just wrote. Thanks so much for taking your time to write all of that!

1 Like