New dado policy now with 2 saw stops?

As I remember the policy was no dado cartridge stops were going to be provided at the shop so no dads were to be used on the SS instead used on the pm66. Is there an updated policies and procedures guideline for using dados now that we have 2 really nice SS in the shop?

I think you can provide your own cartridge, no? I don’t know what the rules are.

Bring it up in the next committee meeting… I haven’t seen you at the space in ages… I didn’t know you were still a member?
Are you still making stuff ?

Oh ok is that what we’re doing for all cartridges! But with the wood shop store being open soon you’d think that might be something to have stocked since it is a Dms provided dad blade set

1 Like

The policy that has been discussed is that the saw stops would always have a combo blade mounted. After a member takes the advanced TS class, they would then have access to the rip, crosscut and dado stacks.

Too many people are ripping with a cross cut blade, and wondering why there is so much tear-out when cross cutting with a rip blade. We think a little bit of specialized training with both help the student and our equipment budget. As @got_tools said, we will tighten this policy up at the next meeting.

2 Likes

Yea I pop in periodically to make things here and there. But since the big stuff I do I don’t ever have a drawing or build sheet to follow my stuff created more creatively on the fly, without a drum sander I can’t do most my stuff since its done off the cuff that calls for extremely unique thicknesses and the quality demanded means I need to be able to dial my stuff in to as close as possible so basically all my big stuff is on standby

Any way to prove know how like with the machine shop, like I can tell you why there’s those little tiny hook shaped cuts in a blade(expansion under rotational stress) why some blades have right flat left bevel patters why some have left right and some have just flat, and what their uses are! So if there’s a “test out” option that would be very much so appreciated and expedited

Also if you pull tape you see I always mean green wash dry and the toss a little talcom on the saw blades before I use them to prevent burns

Proficiency tests are on the way. We are adding more classes and we need to filter by capability. We just have to work through the online part, the proficiency objectives for each section, and a uniform way to allow members to demonstrate their skills.

It has to be a tough enough practical test, yet not some trap. What are your ideas on how we might accomplish this?

Bottom line: We have a lot of class ideas, but not enough teachers to implement them all.

Do it kinda like the bar teating format instead of making it pick the answer like kerf means a b c d make it situational eg. When needing to complete a jewelry box you need to achieve the thinnest cut possible what criteria would allow you to select the best blade! Or when cutting with the grain a specific what factors in particular make a specific blade needed( eg. Long continuous fibers make lots of larger sawdust and there for you need more aggressive rake and bigger deeper troughs for sawdust extraction!) so basically instead of a study the answers the question out them in the work shop and make them have to answer based of experience and knowledge vs learned trivia

But as for a.saw blade demonstration badically 3 joints, a clean butt joint(table saw only) shows they have competency and understanding how to get the blade perfectly 90 and execute, a tounge and groove(table saw only) shows they mastered both vertical and horizontal adjustment and then a miter shows theyve mastered 45

And this could be done in the style of all 3 have to be completed in one session at the space, complete them.whenever you’d like turn them into x spot and write.name time.and date then someone checks them looks at the cameras sees no-one assisted them and boom test passed

Was there any policy update made since this post? I’m going to need to make a drawer box and am interested in using the “quarter, quarter, quarter” method on 1/2 inch plywood, which would be made easier with the use of a dado stack.

Probably not

At this point you can set a time to visit with @pjolone1, @got_tools, @TSki or @SWA regarding using your personal dado stack and your personal Saw Stop brake on the saws. Hope this helps.

Woodcraft Dallas is showing to have it in stock, although it would prudent to call before visiting. Amazon also carries the brake.

1 Like

Isn’t the policy “no dado use on the saw stop” or is it “just bring your own break” cause if there’s no ban just bring your own break, then I was mistaken and that’s perfectly OK with me

The member must checkout with one of the people above. More policy adherence issues than anything else. A DMS supplied dado stack is in the training queue, but behind some more important things. With the member supplying their own $400 kit, we expect they will be careful enough not destroy things.

1 Like