New Curriculum Development SIG

Welcome to the new Curriculum Development SIG! This group supports those who want to create classes (instructor led, online courses, tests, project tutorials, other training needs, etc.) by offering instructional design and development guidance.

Right now, our focus is on the initial need for Basic Training (BT) classes/online courses to train new members on equipment, and cover compliance/safety issues. Later on, we’ll help with other training, such as projects, techniques, etc.

This new SIG is for:

• IDs/educators who want to help/coach subject matter experts (SMEs) create BT classes, online courses, and tests
  • SMEs who need help developing BT courses
  • Moodle, video/audio, photography experts to help create instructional media and online courses

On Board: Several instructional designers (IDs) are already interested from the Moodle threads. (Do we need an exact list?)

SIG updates: I have no idea…I’m a newbie! Please advise best methods.

SIG Wiki: I don’t believe so. If you/someone creates it–or tells me how–I’ll write some content.

Member Involvement: For now, attend the CurrDev meeting, or ask Alex Rhodes.

Leader: I guess I am at the moment… designcat, Nancee Heim.

Questions? For now, attend the CurrDev meeting (to be scheduled).

6 Likes

I think it’s great that there is a Curriculum Development Special Interest Group!

• Who all is already on board?

• How can members in general keep up with progress / updates / etc…?

• Do you have a wiki page yet?

• How can members in general become involved?

• Is there a “leader” per se? If not, who are the primary contacts if members have specific questions, etc…?

[quote="designcat, post:1, topic:19201"] IDs [/quote]

Does IDs mean Instructional Designs?

THANKS! :smiley:

2 Likes

How Do We Start?

I’ve spoken with Alex Rhodes and other knowledgeable folks who gave me enough info and ideas to draft an initial process–a way to simplify the instructional design process for this community and get us moving, I’ll put together a presentation and hold a class/meeting for committee chairs, SMEs, IDs, and whoever wants to attend to give input.

I haven’t scheduled a date yet, but will do so on Monday.

2 Likes

Woo-hoo! The ball is already rolling! Can I edit the first post with that info?

2 Likes

Yes, you should be able to. If you think you might want others to be able to edit it for any reason, it can also be set as a “wiki” post. “Wiki” on TALK is not the same as our main wiki (https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki). On TALK, it allows “anyone” to make edits on a particular post - not just the original poster or moderators, etc… :slight_smile:

[quote="designcat, post:3, topic:19201, full:true"] How Do We Start?

I’ve spoken with Alex Rhodes and other knowledgeable folks who gave me enough info and ideas to draft an initial process–a way to simplify the instructional design process for this community and get us moving, I’ll put together a presentation and hold a class/meeting for committee chairs, SMEs, IDs, and whoever wants to attend to give input.

I haven’t scheduled a date yet, but will do so on Monday.
[/quote]

This thread is a GREAT start! :slight_smile:

There are no specific “rules” regarding Special Interest Groups (SIGs). Many - but not all - opt to create a page on our main wiki. Here is a list of SIGs currently on the wiki:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Interest_Groups

If you do create a page on our wiki, be sure to include the following bit of code to ensure the page shows up in the list of Interest groups: [[Category:Interest Groups]]

2 Likes

I would like to encourage all of the Chairs @Committee_Chairs that will be taking advantage of online training for their tools and equipment to contact @designcat Nancee Heim and let her know how she can be of help or assistance. Nancee and this SIG that is being started will be of great help in getting are items up onto Moodle, the online platform DMS has chosen.

Other folks, many skills needed even if you contribute part time to this:

• Can you Write
  • Skilled at Presentation design, e.g. PowerPoint, etc.
  • Video or Video Editing
  • Shooting Video
  • Instructional Design … their has to be a few teachers in our group

I’m Nancee can name a lot of other skills that can contribute. She’ll be offering a class on using our new online system in the near future - all chairs should try to attend.

5 Likes

Thank you, Lisa and Steve!

1 Like

David. I knew that. :confused:

2 Likes

Definitely interested in this SIG! Will keep an eye out for the meeting.

2 Likes

For reference, these are the skills I have that I can offer, all of which have been my job at one time or another +diagram illustration and 2D animation

3 Likes

I do have to say that I’m more than ecstatic than ever to see a Curriculum Development SIG. @Team_VCC has been doing something like this with a focus on STEM, computer/internet engineering, and programming so we’re more than glad to assist where possible.

3 Likes

I’m interested. Limited personal time for next couple months, but I’ve done training in the past and good with writing and documentation

1 Like

I’m interested, too, but more for offering course variety than tool training since I’m not authorized to train on anything. I’ll be patient until we get to the small stuff.

I have to admit being a reluctant adoptive parent when David first broke the news to me.

While I have always been in favor of us having instructional video classes, I had always thought that Digital Media was a better fit due to script writing and video production skills. Or Public Relations because they write content.

That said, while I am not good at it, I can write. And I can find my way around PowerPoint, Inkscape and GIMP.

Please indulge me while I hug the baby…

1 Like

I would really like to master Inkscape. Part of the reason I signed up for the Adobe Illustrator lectures is to figure out how to translate it there.

@Bill. Aren’t we all “baby huggers” at some point or another? :slight_smile: Personally, my mistress was in interactive multimedia, And I can write scripts and produce media as well – it’s just not my current profession. Strangely enough, instructional designers these days are required to do a lot more than just write content. But that’s a soapbox for another day.

In the case of writing video scripts for training, who does that around here? Is it the people who also shoot the videos, or does someone else do that and bring the script to them? Considering this is a community of opportunity, I would welcome that, too.

On my way, be there soon, hope to meet you, Bill.

3 Likes

Too funny – change the word mistress to Masters…!

1 Like

A majority of the material isn’t what would be classified as Digital Media but is more related to Classroom, thus my advocacy for it being under Classroom as it’s home.

2 Likes

I don’t know who has done it previously at the space, but I am familiar with putting together video scripts from my job if that’s helpful.

2 Likes

One of the needed skills discussed!