Needing to buy sheet metal(Expanded Steel/Aluminum Sheet-Square Tube)

I was wondering if we have a source that has reasonable pricing.
I am looking to buy small quantities of:
-Expanded Sheet Metal
-Square Tube Aluminum
-Aluminum Sheets(Or, maybe Galvanized Sheet Metal)

Thanks!!!

I use Metals4U just off Majesty Drive and I-35, not too far south of DMS:

They will sell small quantities. Can order online or over the phone for local pickup or delivery. Great place, I’ve worked with them a lot.

1 Like

It’s also worth noting that they will give you a 10%? discount if you tell them you’re a member of the makerspace.

4 Likes

I did not know that! Glad to know it now, would have saved me dozens if not hundreds over the past few years.

1 Like

If you have time to drive (or are just in the area) Short Iron Store, in Ft. Worth and Hazlett, very often will have the best pricing I’ve seen in the metroplex. I’d be sure to call vs trusting the website though. They can often save you a few more dollars that way and the cuts are free.

1 Like

And if you end up there, Coremark is not too far away, has better inventory, and is often as not, cheaper.

Short Iron Hazlet shut down in May. Was just there on Monday. They used to be my go to store. The manager and his wife are trying to start their own store in the same complex but have reduced inventory and extended lead times. I’ll definitely go back if they expand.
Best,
Jim

2 Likes

Bummer! Last I’d been out was April I think.

Metals Supermarket is where I usually go. I usually get my stuff from the Lewisville location. It is worth checking the selection in the drop area if you need small pieces.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a trade between convenience and price, CoreMark has a great selection and is cheap but it’s quite far if you’re on the east side of the metroplex. King Architectural metals is even cheaper I think (Paid $75 recently for 20ft of 1 3/8" round tube), but has a limited selection.

I will definitely second king architectural, that’s where I’ve gone because most of the other metal suppliers in the local Metroplex area, especially Metals4u, have been way high even with their poultry 10% discount.

When $3.60/gal fuel and distance is taken into consideration, its a no brainer (at least for me), to go to King. Maybe they are limited, but that hasn’t been my experience.

Take a look at their website, KingMetals.com and look through their inventory.
The prices on the website are an ok guideline, but if you call, its usually lower.

Ultimately it’s a tradeoff of convenience and cost. Metal supermarket has many locations, but their prices average quite high. They don’t do drops - everything is full price. Metals $U has deals, but you need to know what you are looking for and what your other options are.

Know what you need and shop around.

The metal supermarket across from my work ( Dolton Dr in Dallas) does drops. There regular prices are pretty high, but I’ve managed to snag a few small pieces out of the drop area at a good price.

Several times a year they do a “clear out” of the drop zone and will give you as much as you can fit on a cart for $100.

1 Like

This reminds me…do salvage yards still do “all you can carry” days?

1 Like

Lewisville MS charges full price for their drops. In some cases they will skip a cut charge on further cuts on drops, but not always. Generally expensive.

Yes they do. I haven’t been in a long time but I know others who wait all year for this thing.

1 Like