Need to digitize a paper plan

Focus points won’t eliminate parallax, will make image sharper. That’s why Chris mentioned the grid squares. You can correct for parallax extremely accurately if you have known reference points as well as accurately scale. Software can adjust and make things parallel.

2 Likes

This stuff is mostly Greek to me. I think the simplest thing might be to scan on the flatbed in sections, stitch the images together and then trace.

1 Like

I would take a photo perfectly perpendicular to the plans. Maybe on a large wall? Then use a known good lens profile to undistort the image. Adobe Camera Raw can do this or any good raw photo software. Then take that image into whatever CAD or illustration software to create the vector image. It’ll be a lot of manual work to get a precise vector version. I have a 50MP camera and I’d be happy to take a photo of the plans at DMS if you want to do the other preparation.

You might also reach out directly to the creator of the plans and ask for a vector version or offer to pay for a vector version. That would save a lot of time and effort.

1 Like

That is what I would do, but if these are the plans, Need Old Issue of Today's Woodworker , “good luck with that.”

1 Like

Yeah it was from 1992 and the magazine has since gone under/been acquired and they have nothing. I was able to get some clean scans of the plans tonight and once our Photoshop licenses are fixed I’ll try to stitch the images and trace.

It’s not so complicated. Take a picture of whatever with a ruler included in the pic. Import picture to fusion 360. Calibrate picture. Fill out the rest with proper dimensions. I just used my camera phone. The mold came in dead on the money. I do this all the time. Too easy.

3 Likes