Need some help on fixing my car

I think everyone means pilot point bits not Brad point.

You’re right, sorry. Sloppy language.

You can probably hang around the metal shop and trade beer for some quick welding work.

5 Likes

Just remember “weld first, then beer”…

2 Likes

unless you’re drinking this type of beer or similar:

2 Likes

here is a spot well removal drill bit (example) from Eastwood:

http://search.eastwood.com/auto/Spot%20Weld%20Remover

&

http://www.eastwood.com/welders/spot-weld-cutters.html

2 Likes

Harbor Freight has spot weld cutters that work reasonably well. For $5 you can’t go wrong, may as well get a couple of them. Use a sharp center punch to get a good divot in the center of the spot weld, and cut through just the top layer of sheet metal, then use a small pry bar or wedge to separate the panels. You can then sand/grind down the spot welds so that the new panel sits flush for welding.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html

1 Like

Well, how are you supposed to get the empties to weld together if you do it in that order? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Gotta go foil, brah.

2 Likes

I thought in aluminum tig you were also supposed to clean the aluminum & filler with alcohol.

You’ve got it all wrong. You drink the alcohol and use acetone to clean your metals! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My memory isn’t as good as it used to be. Not sure why I was thinking alcohol but yea I remember acetone now that you mention it.

1 Like

Got the harbor Freight version because its so cheap. Ended up having to order a new support rather then use the one from the parts car. Dear god this is taking forever to do though, so many welds to cut through

Update for you all followed by a question.

After many long hours of drilling and banging away, I finally managed to get the front end removed.

and the test fit looks great

Now I need to get a spot welder.

As I’m unable to get the car in its current shape up to the makerspace, is there any way I could check out the spot welder for a few hours?

1 Like

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Code_of_Conduct
Section 4, 5th subpoint:
Tools/resources must stay on the premises so that other members may use them.[3]
Note 3:
Removing tools/resources from the space without authorization from an Officer or member of the Board of Directors is theft.

So…
Sounds like that’d require an OK from an officer or a member of the board, although since it’s on loan, I don’t know if the owner can OK it. I think it’s owned by @aallman72

We no longer allow any kind of checking out or loaning of DMS tools (as that is not practical given number of members). Does anywhere rent spot welders? Other options would be to find someone with a spot welder that would lend it to you or find someone who has a trailer and would help you move the car to DMS.

1 Like

Uhaul, Penske and a few other rental places rent car trailers

1 Like

The HFT spot welder the 'Space has is a 240V unit, which, though I could be wrong, I doubt you have access to at the work location.
The 120V unit is only $170.
That’s roughly 3.5x the cost of renting a tow dolly ($45x3.78~170), and 3x the nominal cost of renting a tandem axle trailer($55x3.10~170) from U-Haul, assuming you have a vehicle that can do the tow (and that U-Haul or other company will let you use).

I have no point other than helping shovel information into your decision stream (and to point out that even if you fenagled borrowing the spot welder from the 'Space, it might not be so easy to use. 240V outlets and extension cords aren’t like those for 120).

Yeah, been getting real friendly with the local uhaul guys this past 2 months. Starting to hurt the bank lol. But that sadly may once again be my best bet. Sadly, didnt find spot welders for rent in the area when i checked earlier. And the price is a bit too steep for how little I will use one. Thanks though everyone. I guess I’ll try and get the car up to the space at some point and just spend the day/night getting it running there lol

That 220 spot welder is pretty low end. I wouldn’t trust it for a car. Play with it at the space with some scrap just to test it.