Need PVC Pipe Cut...can someone help me?

I am looking to have a 2 foot piece of PVC cut LENGTHWISE (so I’m left with two long U-shaped pieces. Would someone be willing to do that for me? I can meet at the Makerspace pretty much any time.

Thanks for any help, and if there is another area where this would be better posted, please let me know.

Cindy

I’d take a 2.5’+ long piece of pvc and drill holes in either end. Make the hole into the pipe oversized. Then I’d screw the pipe to a 2x4 using BRASS screws, allowing the head of the screw pass thru the oversized hole and press against the inside wall of the pipe.

Once secured, you could rip the pipe lengthwise on the bandsaw without it twisting.

Brass screws are insurance in case you accidently clip the screw with the blade: brass is soft enough that it shouldn’t hurt the blade, but the idea is to not need to cut the screws.

Once split, the extra length can but cut off (removing the holes).

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I’m not trained on any of the Woodshop tools so was kind of looking for someone to do this for me, will compensate for time. :slight_smile:

Cindy

I would assemble the arrangement that Mike suggested and stand at the door of the wood shop looking needy. It would take about 2 minutes to run this through the saw and I can’t see anybody refusing you.

I’ll be at DMS Wed or Thur evening. If you haven’t gotten it sorted by then I’ll be glad to help you out.