Need ideas for hidden magnetic locks

I’ve been searching online for a way to create a hidden lock in a short wooden armoire that is locked/unlocked with a strong magnet. I want it invisible on any outside surface or top, and don’t want to use the bottom.

Here’s the build: The top lid has a hinge on the back, and lifts up. There are two wooden front doors that open like French doors. Inside, there are eight drawers down the center. I want to lock the top lid with one magnetic lock, and the front doors with a second lock.

• I found one video that shows a magnet lifting a nail in the back end of a nightstand drawer. This is sort of where I want to go, but this doesn’t fit my configuration.
  • There are the plastic child-proof locks, but they don’t fit my configuration, and are rather ugly.

Any makers out there who have done this, or who may have ideas?

3 Likes

One of many ways - just the quickest one I found

3 Likes

I saw that one, but I’m not sure how to create that in an existing piece of furniture without boogering it up.

I guess it depends on how intricate and high tech you want to get. It’s pretty common to see electronic locks nowdays. I could see making a nice inlaid pattern that actually functioned as a keypad.

How does an electronic or electric lock work if the electricity or batteries fail?

Here’s what you want…

cylindrical rod that retracts into the cabinet when the magnet is applied, catching the metal latch…

Ok, maybe not what YOU want, in this case, but elegantly simple and looks good…

2 Likes

These are more traditional (ie, don’t use magnets), but might give you ideas.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8rPqI843igMC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=fine+woodworking+hidden+compartments&source=bl&ots=MxxJX5gUBk&sig=9qno8DcSmTd5u8rP-pNAl2AYl4U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNzsb196DWAhUSySYKHXpEA_M4ChDoAQg2MAY#v=onepage&q=fine%20woodworking%20hidden%20compartments&f=false

3 Likes

not very well - most have some sort of mechanical release or access

The LaGard combination locks that I worked with had a small set of metal tabs on the keypad for a 9V battery. When the battery inside the lock went dead you could hold a 9V to the tabs to power the lock and open it. The memory that held the combination was static and did not lose the combination when the power died. Other versions actually had the batteries mounted outside the safe and in the keypad. They are now making electronic locks that are powered by spinning the dial several times before entering the combination.

1 Like

interesting, have to wonder how reliable that would be over a lifetime.
Bosch tankless heaters used a similar approach several years ago where the water flow turned a wheel to generate the electricity for the spark for the gas pilot - it was not as reliable as intended.

I was never too happy with the locks that powered by spinning the dial. Of course, they were generally used on safes that were opened by different people dozens of times per week, had an electronic access key that was different for every user, and had a programmable combination that actually changed every time you used it according to a close code generated by an algorithm known only to the lock and the computer that generated the open code. The computer kept a log of every key number that accessed the safe. The tiny little solenoid that operated the lock mechanism was prone to failing, as was the ribbon cable that went to the electronics.

1 Like

@jast This is what i was thinking, but i couldn’t tell how he did it or find any plans.

N.

1 Like

Me neither. Just guessing, but the little cylinder you see him pluck out of the thing is likely spring loaded, and extends into the “latch” on the door when the magnet is removed. When the magnet is placed, it retracts against the spring. If the spring is sized properly, the steel rod used for the cylinder can be retained with a bit of friction in the spring, allowing it to be removed in the fashion demonstrated.

I could be way off base, though…

1 Like

I haven’t read the article, but the current Make: magazine has a story with a “hidden capacitive lock switch” or somesuch.

1 Like

I just rewatched that video.
The cylinder inside the cabinet is a magnet, too. You see him stick it to to the latch before he puts it back in the cabinet. So it attracts to the latch when the cabinet is closed, but the pull to the outside magnet is stronger, causing it to retract. When he removed it, he used the edge of the exterior magnet to drive it out of the hiding hole…
Interesting…

Wha???..oh…ill watch it again

OK after perusing my issue at home (Make: volume 59, p. 46) “Secret Cabinet Lock” may be more involved than you want - it requires some electronics and power.

Author is Mark Longley from Xkitz - https://www.xkitz.com/
The story will probably eventually pop up on the makezine.com site as they slowly dribble out magazine content.

1 Like

googler turns up this:

which includes this

which IS really nifty.

2 Likes

Wow! That touch switch is really great! Could I do that with a battery rather than AC power?

I suspect a battery could work. You might put a plug on the outside to recharge the battery. Actually a battery would be a good idea even if you have it connected to permanent power for operation during a power outage.

1 Like