Need help with computer build for stock options trader

Hi! I’m soliciting your help for a close friend of mine who needs to replace/upgrade his computer system.

He trades options, so he needs to have about six to eight screens going at once to display his varied information feeds.

Do we have someone here who does this for a living (or on an amateur basis) who can point him in the right direction(s)? We’ve built computers before together (in 2013), and that’s the system we’re replacing. [I imagine that some of his existing components could be saved (power supply, CPU fan, GPU) and some need replacement (motherboard, chip, memory, SSD/NVME, ?), but I don’t know precisely which.] Can you please advise?

Thanks in advance for your help.

My number is 972.955.six.eight.three.six.

DT

From what I can tell, a custom high-speed, low-latency VHDL chip is apparently the zeitgeist in the big prop shops these days.

1 Like

https://pcpartpicker.com/
A good resource for compatibility and performance specs.

Not sure about options trading. Low latency is probably the most important for that. That has to do with your internet provider speeds more than anything and also how close you are to a network switching center.

2 Likes

Assuming you’re talking just retail options trading, no need for anything special from a hardware perspective. You just need a bunch of monitors for boy astrology technical analysis and /r/wallstreetbets.

If it’s 11 years old I wouldn’t save anything. You could save the power supply but you’re going to need adapters for the modern plugs and that’s annoying.

Modern video cards will get you 4 monitors. You could use the onboard graphics on the motherboard to drive two more, or get two graphics cards to go up to 8.

Easy button is a microcenter bundle, an nvme ssd, a graphics card and case/power supply/heatsink of your choice.

2 Likes

Will he use this for anything else? That would define a lot of components for me. For 8 monitors they will most likely need 2 graphics cards. I would use all new parts for something like that. Cpu fan most likely won’t work as they need adapters.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. I’ll ask him.

I just upgraded my home server (computer in desktop case), using one of the Microcenter “Computer Combo Kits”, like the following: https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006647/amd-ryzen-7-7700x,-msi-b650-p-pro-wifi,-gskill-flare-x5-series-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

The above a rather nice upgrade !
For monitors, I’m using a 50" 4K LG TV. Looks and works great. (3940x2160 resolution)

I added a 2TB M.2 (NVME) SSD drive.

1 Like

One a budget? Scratch the 8 monitors as it will force you to build from scratch as you will need more power, CPU speed and multiple card. Go with a large curved monitor/tv setups and run 8 windows, update to the best graphics card and cpu available for the motherboard you have. Max out your ram and get the fast SSD and he should be golden.