Need Help with a screen print

Hello,

I have not taken the screen printing class and need two shirts printed. I cannot find a reasonable place to do the printing and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me that has taken the class, I already have the AI file of the design.

Thanks

Todd

We have a print-a-thon on Saturday at the space. Join us and one of us will help you out to work through the process. Also check out the calendar, there are many classes on Thursdays that might interest you.

2 Likes

Unless you NEED to screen print, for only two shirts, I’d look pretty hard at Dye Sublimation. MUCH faster and easier when you don’t need to make a large volume.

1 Like

Heat Transfer vinyl is another great way to go.

2 Likes

For a single color design, I second heat transfer vinyl. Works great with our vinyl cutter and heat press. A screen for two shirts is a lot of work.

Just as a basic run-down to go from art to a shirt with a screen press, from scratch:

Build or buy a screen ($30-$50, or ~$10-20 + an hour)
Print 2 transparencies (75 cents each at kinkos)
Coat and expose the screen (I think it’s $5 donation per screen, unless you buy your own for $16-$25, hour to an hour and a half)
Wash out the screen (15 mins maybe)
Pull the prints (10 mins for practice on a test shirt, another 10 for the pulls. Bring extra, it’s not guaranteed to be a good pull, especially if it’s multi color)
Clean up the screen (10-30 mins, depending on the ink)
Recover the screen to remove the stencil (30-45 maybe, much faster per screen if you do in bulk)

I’m all for teaching a man to fish, but that’s definitely the long way around for 2 shirts.

Edit: I take most of that back. If the design isn’t too complicated, you can cut it out of vinyl and use the other side as a stencil and pull a few prints. That would get rid of a lot of the time and hassle.