Need help using resin printer

I’m thinking of buying a resin printer but I would like to try using the makerspace’s printer first. Can someone walk me through it? I’ve got experience with FDM printers, and also resin casting and general safety.

They have an online course here: https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/course/index.php?categoryid=2

2 Likes

The printer itself is very easy to use. See the online training that’s mentioned above. That training also tells you the specifications for the printer we own, including the printable volume.

There’s a lot of art and magic involved in getting your print positioned and sliced for printing. What types of things are you considering printing?

Masters for medalians and other small pieces I want to cast in resin. At some point I’d like to try the lost resin casting with metal, seems cool

1 Like

If you are going to use pewter, you can make molds on the laser cutters… not sure the detail, but looks like fun.

1 Like

That’s a very suitable use for the resin printer. The resin printer is capable of very fine detail; but it does best if those details aren’t suspended in the air. For example, a medallion with fine details should print just fine using the medallion as the base. In contrast, a suspension bridge with fine wires would be super hard to print.

You should be able to print your medallion(s) flat against the build plate. That’s by far the easiest way to print with a lot fewer failures, so that’s a great way to start If your medallion is double-sided, you should print each side separately then “glue” them together using resin. I can coach you on that if you need to do that.

For your “other small pieces” I recommend you start watching YouTube videos on resin printer slicing nuances.

I’m not sure what material you will use for your “mold” if you do this. If you plan to use a silicone mold you may want to know this …

I’ve been printing up a storm with castable wax resin, with mixed results. The wax resin is somewhat finicky. If you go down that path I’m glad to share various things I’ve learned.

1 Like