Need help TIG Welding Stainless This Weekend

Hey makers,

I’m likely going to need help getting some stainless steel piping cut and some flanges welded together for a project I have going on at work. My machine shop vendor is moving spaces and I thought I may check here for help. The pipes and flanges are 1.5" OD and I need two pipes with two flanges at each end. If anyone can lend a hand I would greatly appreciate it. I’m trying to get a machine hooked up before Monday. I can of course reimburse/cover for materials and buy you lunch or something to say thanks.

Chris

If I wasn’t out of town I’d love to help.

Make sure with pipe you either shield or apply paste to the inside as well.

Thanks for the consideration Malcolm. Also, you helped me with the Bridgeport class and it was really a really good learning experience.

1 Like

Looking for more info on this. What is the use for your stainless pipe? Is it sanitary? What is the wall thickness?

Wall thickness is pretty darn close to 1/16 of an inch on the pipe and ferrule. The pipe and ferrule I’m sourcing are sanitary 304 stainless, but the application is not for food products. If you can see the sight glass, it’s piping that connects that. The equipment is an underwater pelletizer and it’s used in plastic extrusion.

I think i can help with this, can you tell me exactly the connections being made? flanges, elbows, etc?

Yeah, the flanges need to be welded to the end of the pipe directly. There’s no angle requirement other than being straight. See the picture below, I need one flange at each end. I need the overall length including the flanges to be pretty close, but there’s at least 1/4" of wiggle room to be off. I won’t know the exact length I need these pipes to be until I get the others back from the shop. I have taken the TIG welding course and I have a nozzle kit with some tungsten rods, though I know I won’t be able to do this well myself.

I made something almost exactly he same as this, and my one bit of advice would be to make sure that everything is aligned perfectly before you start, then go super slow (small sections on opposite sides) so that everything cools evenly and doesn’t end up pulling you off angle… it’s amazing how bad a 1/2 degree error looks on a 48” pipe!

1 Like

This we can do with no trouble! Happy to help, just let me know when you wanna. I’ve got the tungsten and nozzle kit as well. I grew up/worked in a milk plant. This was how all our lines were made :slight_smile:

Let me know.

1 Like