Need help cutting this bed frame

I need to cut the ends off of this bed frame, where the angle iron butts up to this square flat end-cap. Two cuts needed so I can get this standard twin bed frame to accept a twin xl-long bed set.

Any suggestions where I can get this cut today during lunch, and what the preferred cutting would be? I am not a torch cutter. Never used an angle grinder, but how hard could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely angle grinder with metal cutting blade like below. Both are available for use at the DMS on the main/center tool wall next to the red tool box

2 Likes

An angle grinder would likely make short work of this cut. Alternatively, it can be hacksawed or bandsawed off, but I would take an angle grinder to it. I don’t imagine it would take more than 30 minutes to do both sides. Now, how straight or square the cut would be that is another consideration.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll be there at noon today to search for the tools needed and attempt the cut.

The Portaband would be perfect for this.

If you don’t have access to it yet shoot me a PM. It’s a very clean and easy cut.

Alternatively we have some better grinders on the wall in the Welding bay, and there is a stashed diamond cut off wheel.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

Bedrails tend to be relatively high carbon (and hard to cut) in order to resist bending. Not suitable for cutting on the DMS coldcut or (I believe) the horizontal band saw.

Angle grinder or an abrasive wheeled chopsaw would make quick work of it, though. Use full-face protection and ear protection.

1 Like

I took it in during lunch, clamped it onto the welding bay table and used an angle grinder to cut the ends off. Full face mask was used and tools put back where they belong.

Easy-peasy.

Thanks all; it helped!

2 Likes

Thanks! I definitely need to see that cutter.

On another note, I really need a fresher on the Dynatorch class I took as I’m pimping a $5 garage sale cheap Aussie grill I got recently (just for shits and giggles) and would like to mod. the grill and cut out an expanded metal grill grate for it, perhaps personalizing it as well.

I’ll try to set up a time to stop by and see where some of these metal shop toys are and how they’re used.

1 Like

Makes very quick work of stuff like what you were doing. When you see me at the space nab me and I’ll show you where it is and any caveats.

nice thing about our torch is it handles expanded metal very easily; you just need to make sure you don’t get galvanized or zinc expanded sheet

Overall generally open to lending a hand

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like