Need a leather handle recreated

Hey leatherworkers!

I’m repairing and prepping computer items for the VCF Southwest fundraising auction on June 24th. One of the items is an Osborne 1 computer from the early 80s. It still has its original box and the paperwork from when it was ordered from the factory.

However, one thing it has that I don’t have the knowledge to repair is a brittle leather handle cover. It’s wrapped over a thin piece of spring steel.

Is there someone who can create a replacement leather handle for this item? It’s something most of these computers need. Happy to pay to get this done.

Thanks,

Raymond

1 Like

Can you please provide a couple of pictures for reference?

2 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken this is what it looks like:

That should be fairly easy to reproduce Raymond, any chance you can get dimensions and more pics before the weekend?

Oh yeah, that wouldnt take long at all. If the d rings are connected to the case then we would physically need it. Well unless we use snaps.

1 Like

I’ll be at DMS between 12 to 5 tomorrow (Sunday) for a prep session for folks needing help with their computers before VCF. I’ll bring it.

2 Likes

Heading up to DMS tonight to work on the computer in Electronics if anyone will be around for leather working. Be there about 6:30

Left about 9pm…

Disassembled it and found some screws floating around inside with one on the main board. Replaced one shorted Tantalum cap on the main board, 2 mains filter caps in the power supply were slightly bulging on top, and pulled the three RIFA caps. The screws went to mount the 2 floppy drives. Reinstalled those and tightened down the remaining ones.

Here’s Wordstar running from 5.25" disk:

3 Likes

I remember running Worstar from 5.25" disk… not on an Osborne, but…

Great job getting it back into shape! :+1:

If there’s anyone available to help, I’ll be at DMS from 5-9pm tomorrow night (Saturday) in the front lobby classroom helping folks get their collections ready for VCF Southwest.

Thanks!

Raymond

1 Like

I’m at the space currently, but i will try to get back later to assist

Thank you sir!

THANK YOU!

It looks awesome! :slight_smile:

5 Likes