Necklace repair

Jewelers,

My wife has two pieces of jewelry that need some repairs. A necklace that has a broken clasp mechanism and an earring that had the post come off.

The earring is probably just a bit of epoxy, but if you guys use something special, please let me know what the best adhesive would be:

The necklace will be a bit more work I think. It’s essentially a v shaped slot on the back of the clasp that has the necklace band go through it. I’m guessing that there was a sliding lock that would wedge into place to hold the slide / pendant in place. Without the wedge, the pendant just falls off. Anyone seen anything like this and have an idea of what would go into it to make it work again? Anyone know of a jewelry shop that could fix this or maybe someone wants to make a few $ actually fixing the wedge?

Thanks,
Ian

I did an image search on the Patent number listed on the back (1094483) and found a couple of pics of similar necklaces with the same slider arrangement.

Pics don’t make it crystal clear how the clasp works but they might help:

2 Likes

Do the drawings in the patent application help?
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1094483A/en

Not helpful. Sorry.

1 Like

Does it have to be able to slide? I bet you could solder in place. For glue I use e6000.

1 Like

Vigor makes a 2-part epoxy that’s specifically formulated for pearls. You can get it online or locally at Roseco.

That necklace had something in it that created friction. Maybe a rubber or cork insert might do the trick. It works on slider bracelets.

3 Likes

Another glue you can use on pearls and other jewelry projects is GS Hypo cement, also known as watch crystal cement. Commonly available at Michaels, in a square box, around $8 or 9. Lasts a long time (if you don’t leave it in the car). Has a very tiny tip, for very tiny drops of glue. Let it set overnight.

Traditional sliders (vintage) usually had cork stuffed in the hole to provide friction. Have also seen leather used. Both eventually wear away. Silicone caulk might work - put it in, then slide the slider a few times, then let it set up???

One additional possibility on the slider, if the 2 ends were joined at the bottom, at least it would not fall off, though that does not hold it in a place you might want it…