Mycology class interest

Would anyone be interested in a class on growing edible culinary mushrooms?

i could cover
-needle biopsy from store bought mushroom samples
-Agar
-liquid culture
-spawning and fruiting

Maybe even make it a series and do wild yeast isolation and brew our own beer or mead from a local dallas yeast.

i also am interested in mycomaterials.

I could do some neat classes on all of this. most likely this summer when i have free time. please comment if you’re interested or if you would like to do some side projects with me

8 Likes

Yes… I was wondering if anyone wanted to go on a field trip to find morels.

3 Likes

where to? id be interested. just out east could likely have some. im more interested in farmable mushrooms and mycomaterials. however if time permits id love to. i know they do controlled burns at davy crockett national forest.

2 Likes

YES, but where?

I haven’t hunted morels since I was a kid in Indiana. The last time we picked 3 bushel baskets and mom cleaned, breaded, and froze most of them. We had mushrooms all winter that year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be interested.

I’ve thought about asking for a class on this for a while now, definitely interested in cultivating edibles like oysters and such! And I would love a field trip for mushroom hunting in general, even if not for morels!

Would peyote be included in this organic treasure hunt?

Peyote isnt fungal.

Also i do not condone anything that is against the law/wouldn’t partake in such activities.

J/K!!! Tee hee!

1 Like

The classes ideas you have would be fun and something I have never done. I was raised Morel hunting but we just picked them cooked them and ate them I never got very deep into the science part of it all.

I know its still a little cold at night but Morel season is coming soon. Need to time the weather heat and moisture to plan a trip to get the best results,

Morels also sadly arent cultivateable

They can be they just lose flavor

The video is a little cheezy but it has good information.

im referring to indoors. a reliable farm type setting. there is one patent for a way to grow yellow morels but it wasnt viable because they taste bland compared to the good ones

I completely agree…We might be able to try to cultivate the mycelium in a lab environment and “seed” an outside area just for fun. It seems the grain and molasses slurry would be good… but I would consider honey for its antimicrobial properties and rain water collection to avoid chemically treated water that could destroy the spores.

I’d be highly interested.

I took a little nature walk today and early spring plants are coming up. As long as the daytime weather holds without getting too hot and the nights get warmer the next couple weeks will be prime for morels.
Look for dying decaying hardwood trees. Elm, Cottonwood… dewberries flower. In the midwest Kansas and Missouri also asparagus coincides with early Morel season.
https://www.foragingtexas.com/2012/03/morel-mushroom

2 Likes

link inop
appears to have been intended to be https://www.foragingtexas.com/2012/03/morel-mushrooms.html
Neat site!

Thank you I appreciate the correction

1 Like

Mushroom class(as) would be cool.