My weekend project: Brake job on a Massey Ferguson 165 tractor

Thanks! That’s the brand name of the gunk we used back in the day. :smiley:

1 Like

Not sure what float is made if. Ifvthe old hollow brass type can you detect ANY “sloshing” inside, if so float will ride low and not seat valve closed. Also any dents can lower the buoyancy.

If any under material does it feel “water logged” at all. Again same problem. Hopefully any rebuild kit will include a float.

I had one float thst was riding low based on symptoms, as a last desoarate act I bent the small flange that hooked from float to the small wire on needle valve up so valve would close earlier.

It worked, I assume my fix is what did it, but it could have been some other re-assembly “error” I made that actually fixed it. (was a small Weber progressive dual throat on a FIAT so who the heck knows).

Other problems I’ve had are any needle valve alignment issues.

2 Likes

The needle actuated by the float usually seats against a rubber seat that likely needs to be replaced if it hasn’t been.

And you say the solenoid has been tested? Just that it moves with on/off? Or that it actually seals when off? If it is actually sealing correctly when off, you shouldn’t have a leak past however much the bowl was overfilled when running.

2 Likes