My second 3D printer just died

Ender 3 pro. It seems to be a thermocouple issue, it keeps alarming out due to a thermal runaway. The first one that died is sitting in a unused storage space. I have ordered a new print head with the thermocouple attached. I am willing to pay for anyone who can help me get this fixed. For those who don’t know me I am a disabled older lady paralyzed on the left side due to a stroke, during my working life I was a machine maintenance tech. If this repair works, I would be willing to buy the parts for the second printer, get it repaired, and donate it to the space if they want it. I live in Garland Help?

Often it’s just the thermistor wire shorting to the heat block where it gets pinched by a screw. Firmware recognizes “no signal from the thermistor” plus “nozzle heater active” as a potential bad thing. Rightly so.

1 Like

I’d be inclined to agree, the thermistor is a fragile beastie.

Back in my working days, I drilled the hole in the plate or block that was being heated it was just big enough for the thermocouple wire and ball. If it wasn’t too hot I would use RTV or some other high temp adhesive to keep it in place. The parts should arrive today. If I had both hands this would be a no brainer, but there is no way I can do this repair by myself, like I said I am willing to pay for the labor.

In my previous job of being a machine maintenance tech I would Weld mount thermocouple balls using thermocouple wire. It is not that difficult with the right tools.

Well the parts just came in. And I now have a contact information for a place that sells parts. Since I don’t have much else to do my next step is to find out what kind of thermocouple it is. I went ahead and ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K72JDJB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

my sense is this will not be the first thermocouple I have to replace. So I’m going to try to make it easy for myself in the future.

i believe it maybe a thermistor. a thermal couple is two different metal tac wielded. a thermistor is a resistance thermometer, or a resistor whose resistance is dependent on temperature** . The term is a combination of “thermal” and “resistor”. It is made of metallic oxides, pressed into a bead, disk, or cylindrical shape and then encapsulated with an impermeable material such as epoxy or glass.

the following is an amazon link to thermistor claimed to be a replacement.

HICTOP 100K ohm NTC 3950 Thermistors/Temp Sensor for Reprap Creality Ender 3, Ender 3 Pro, CR-10 10S 3D Printer (Pack of 5) (1m/39.4inches) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0150YLX9C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_MTD7A7CTKJBMTRX74XGY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So I ordered the sensors, are there any videos showing how these where this thing plugs in? This might be a job I can do for myself. I just need to know where that 2 pin plug goes.

So I opened up my spare printer found where this goes to being on the floor I could do that it uses 2 mm and 3 mm Allen screws. here is where it is kept. I will not be able to do this totally by myself because I cannot lift this printer. I can roll it on the ground just fine which would let me replace the cable without too much assistance

Ender 3 pro #1

video…

If the thermistor part has not left the facility. the following would be a better replacement.

[Gulfcoast Robotics] HEX EPCOS Thermistor Upgrade for Creality Ender 3 Ender 5 CR10 3D Printers 1 Meter Extension Cable Amazon.com

The thermistor plug end is ether at the base of the controller/ power. or the plug is in the cable rap connected to the hot end. you can cut the quick zips, then look and if you find the plug replace the thermistor, the, push back the cable rap and strap down the cable rap with two new used zip ties.

the better thermistor is glued into a replacement bolt. take off the screw to affix the thermistor and place the bolt/thermistor combo into the hole with you thumb. tighten the thermistor with needle nose pliers. make sure pliers only grip the metal as the thermistor is delicate. then find the plug insert the thermistor plug.

I’m still real new with my Ender 3 Pro, but if you can show me what needs doing, I’d be happy to help get your printers fixed.

DigitalDoyle

Sorry. My previous reply was supposed to go to you, @Wendy.

I’ll help you with your printers. Let me know when and where. Afternoons and evenings work better for me right now, as I’m covered up with work.

DD

any chance you know how to program and debug the big tree tech boards?

I am so sorry, but I do not yet know how to do that. You might ask @artg_dms about that. He’s a genius and knows all about the hardware side of things. Good guy, too. I’m a hardware neophyte at the moment. I also think there is a lot of info on youtube that could be really helpful. Lately outside of paying work and working on my cars for fun, I spend all my free time on youtube educating myself about all the very many things I don’t yet know. It’s helpful. Good luck!

DD

Got a pack of five thermistors yesterday.

So I replaced the sensor on one of the printers it started to work and then shut down opening the head up I found the little ball on the thermistor had slipped out of its hole. And then it stopped working altogether I’m pretty sure that the the contacts on the connector have broken loose from the printed circuit board. Oh well one printer down one to go. This one would still be easy to fix if I’m right just remove the board and resolder the cold soldered joints on the other side. Again I have 3 of these sensors as spares, but I have decided this is not a job I can do with one hand even with the printer on the floor. The hard part for me is lifting the printer up and down, rolling it around on the ground is easy.

I’ve said this several times but I am willing to pay for the help?

The problem is I cannot do this with one hand.

I can resolder the board but it maybe a good idea to check the under a microscope and look at the pcb.
Cut trace on the pcb could also be the problem. Unclean contacts on the connector could be the problem, but i am guessing already cleaned the contacts with isopropyl.

What was the error you got from the serial communications?

These might help?

M104 T1 S205
M111 6

Amazon told me verbally that I did not have to send this printer back, did they would waive the return requirement. I screwed up in not getting this in writing a $212.16 charge appeared on my card this time I did get it in writing. So I’m only at the price of the original printer. Fingers crossed, I believe I’ve arranged to get a third printer from micro center thanks to the kindness of my fellow maker space members who shall remain nameless for now.

So @DigitalDoyle was kind enough to pick up and build a 3D printer from micro center. I am now in the print business again, I am keeping it busy catching up on all the projects I came up with for the other ones died. I am having real adhesion problems with the PLA sticking to the magnetic base. Hairspray interestingly seems to help with this. Is there anything else better guys?

i am working on a an alarm for a stuck film it and out of print filament. When I have it finished I will publish the plans on my site in post link to those plans here. I would be even I would be glad to kid it up if anyone else would like one.