My mom, the maker

My mother, Carol Jean Churchill, passed away last Friday after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. During her life, she was quite the “maker”, and at her memorial we displayed just a few of the many, many things she created over her life. I thought I’d share some of those pics here, as she has been an inspiration to me and I credit her for my maker genes. Her interests included:

• quilting, including winning a Blue Ribbon at the 1982 Knoxville World’s Fair
  • ceramics
  • beading
  • marbleizing fabric
  • needlepoint
  • counted cross stitch
  • basket weaving
  • sewing
  • embroidery
  • tatting lace
  • bargello
  • crochet
  • knitting

22 Likes

What beautiful items, thank you for sharing her with us.

2 Likes

A very nice tribute!

Alzheimer’s can’t be cured quick enough.

2 Likes

I lost my Mother to Alzheimers as well. I’m sorry that you and your family had to go through that.

Your Mom made beautiful things. You will always have those things to help remember her.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Love her mad fiber skills, what nice items. Thanks for sharing them with us.

1 Like

This is awesome. I too, had a maker mom who especially loved to sew and quilt. This display brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing, Mike. I’m very sorry for your loss. I know she’ll be missed very much.

1 Like

Beautiful work,
I’m sorry for your loss, I lost my grandmother 2 years ago to Alzheimers. It is hard and I wish the best for you and your family.

Those quilts are lovely! She made some very beautiful things and one very wonderful son. I’m so sorry for your loss Mike.

1 Like

What a wonderful tribute for a gifted creative lady. I’m so sorry for your loss :frowning:

I have my great grandmothers quilt. I see it as magic. Ever piece of it was hand stiched by her. Old clothes made it into the lining and it’s obviously created with bits and pieces of whatever she could find. Hard times during a hard life. I never knew her. But I feel connected with each stitch. Like many many others that dreaded disease was has touched my family as well. Well not touched but downright tore up. I’m sad that you lost your mother but it’s wonderful to see her spirit live on with the way you choose to lead your life as an always curious always working kind hearted soul.

5 Likes

As your mother, she also made you

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.