Multicam / Woodshop CNC Future

This is kind of what I was envisioning Ian, if the opportunity is there.

2 Likes

I picked up a 20 lb bag of cotton rags and 2 boxes of nitrile gloves. Where do we want to keep them for maintenance?

2 Likes

Wow, it’s fantastic to see the number of people who are willing to help!

If there are enough potential owners who volunteer, perhaps it could be on a rotating basis - something like two non-contiguous 3-month periods per owner to help avoid volunteer burnout.

2 Likes

Thank you!

The best place for ONE box of gloves is in the third fourth drawer down. There will be a gray tube of lubricant for the lead screw in the same drawer and a grease gun for the zerks. The gloves are very handy for lubricating the lead screw.

The other box of gloves could go in the wooden cabinet. The goal being to prevent them from going walkabout.

I have no idea where the cotton rags should go. Tossing a few in the third fourth draw seems like a good idea. (All things needed to make the MultiCam slippery in one place.)

1 Like

Cool beans. I will probably drop them off after the first

1 Like

The lead screw and linear bearings have been lubricated. Excessive grease was removed.

If you’re using thick black grease on the linear bearings please stop. You are damaging the machine. The correct lubricant has a much lower viscosity. There is a grease gun in the fourth drawer with plenty of the correct lubricant. Use that.

2 Likes

I dropped off a box of large gloves and a small bag of rags. I have a 25 lb bale of rags so just let me know when more are needed

6 Likes

Time for your daily woodshop necro.

The committee meeting on Saturday 1/16 approved this as a structure change for the Multicam SIG. The following are the 2021 appointments, position definitions and responsibilities.

OWNERS MAINTENANCE TEACHERS
Matt R. @mdredmond Rich C. @richcase Ryan D. @indytruks138
Brian @Brian Bob R. @rmramsey2 Doug C. @dougbcave
Jennifer M. @jmeinel @SWA HB @got_tools
Edward A. @Nomad Kathryn Bud F. @budman
Mitch C. @themitch22
Patrick C. @trapper13
Sam V. @Sam_Violett

Owners:

• Set standards of use and education
  • Manage Teachers and Maintenance help
  • Tell Chair when stuff is needed
  • Each individual service machine 1x month (machine then receives maintenance at least weekly)
  • Collectively have final authority on machine use and rules (below board / chair)

Maintenance:

• Future Owners of America ™
  • Learning Maintenance
  • Help Owners perform maintenance as needed

Teachers:

• Checkout 3-5 individuals / month (1 class per teacher, leading to 7 classes / month)
  • Must certify that students meet checklist of understanding as set by owners
  • Charge $50 / student to reserve a checkout slot. Non-refundable, split with Woodshop.

Owners by Feb 14:

• Create a checklist for teachers to work by
  • Record the current class and put on Moodle
  • Work with @skyspook and @apparently_weird @DougEmes
  • Define what needs to happen weekly, set a rotation, perform maintenance
  • Prepare a train-the-trainers event. Suggest Feb 20 or 27.

I will be starting a DM conversation with the Owners to get that ball rolling. Expect to hear from them as they take over managing this machine.

Important note to all CNC users- Part of the goal here is to authorize the owners to have the autonomy to make decisions about the machine. If there are issues with the machine, please let them know. If the owners declare the machine to down / not in service, thats what I will go by.

14 Likes

Thanks Ian.

Owners, just let me know the next maintenance date and I’ll clear my calendar.

Thanks,
Rich

3 Likes

Does Kathryn have a TALK handle?

1 Like

@Brian, I see in another thread you post that you “plan to lubricate the leadscrew and linear bearings” at 7 about once a week. Is that activity part of the regular maintenance requirements? If so, and you plan to go up there next Thur at 7pm I’ll clear my calendar if you need help. Would offer for tonight, but have a conflict can’t get out of.

Thx.

1 Like

It is.

The leadscrew should be lubricated “daily”. During a busy week we’re nowhere near that. I hope to get everyone who uses the machine trained and participating.

Is there a time / day that would be better for you?

1 Like

Hello, I’ve taken the multi cam class but not the hands on test final clearance. I am very mechanically inclined and always leave the 3d printing area less clogged than when I arrive.

If someone could help me set up a time to do my final test / check and then show me where the daily lubrication happens I’ll gladly do at least that much to help out when I swing thru every so often.

2 Likes

I can probably help you test out, just submit your Vcarve file to me and/or the cncsupervisors email (not sure if that’s updated) I’ll check it out and make a time.

1 Like

There are 16 people enumerated in this DL, and themitch22 is one of them. @IanLee if this should this be pruned or otherwise maintained in any way, let me know (PM would be great!).

3 Likes

Brian, I’m fine for 7pm 2/11 if you plan to go…LMK would be happy to meet then…

Perfect. See you then.

1 Like

I’d like to be there to look on if it’s ok.

1 Like

Yes. Yes it is.

@apparently_weird, if everything goes according to plan, we’ll be lubricating the MultiCam Thursday about 7 PM.