MultiCam End Mill Purchase Question

I would like to purchase a couple of personal end mills for use with the MutiCam, but I am a little unsure about something.

The notes for the mills in VCarve indicate that the settings are for Meisenheimer or Onsrud end mills. If I were to purchase something like a 1/4-inch Freud or Whiteside upcut mill, for instance, do I need to build my own set of feed and speed settings or is it safe to use the settings in the DMS tool database if the speeds in the DMS database are below the max speeds for the mill I purchase?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, I just want to make sure I’m using the MultiCam correctly before I proceed into new territory.

Thanks for any and all assistance! :slight_smile:

Will,

Whiteside bits will be fine - I was turned on to them a while ago by some fellow members a long time ago and that’s the brand I use for my 20+ bits for the CNC

Look at some posts I’ve made as well as older posts on the forum regarding feed and RPM settings. The ones in the database are strictly a conservative baseline and not optimal by any means.

3 Likes

You can save a personal library and load it in vcarve. That will allow you to store feeds and speeds for your individual bits.

2 Likes

I bought my own Amana Spektra bits from Amazon and the speeds/feeds were easily gotten with a search. At $60 a bit It’s worth looking it up.

1 Like