Multicam CNC Class?

Howdy! I was curious if there was anyone planning to offer a Multicam class anytime soon? I’ve already gone through the Woodshop 101 course and the Shapeoko course, looking to get into Multicam. TIA!

I am very 8nterested n this class as well. I have been requesting a class on this topic since July.

Gary

Please have a class. Multicam is local officing at dfw. Why not set up training class with multicam instructor.

Consider the fact that the cnc is at least 8 times the cost of any other woodshop machine and what a sick joke it is that no one will step up to get people certified.

I joined up to use cnc and need this addressed.

1 Like

+1 for interest in access to the multicam, would be cool to make some diy cabinets

1 Like

I’m in, +1

Tagging @Team_Woodshop @SWA @got_tools

+1 Count me in

This may be a different topic, but I am in need of the recertification for the Multicam.

I hear a class is being put together for “experienced” users of this particular machine. Other folks are expected to master our new x-carve before moving onto the high performance Multicam machine.

How is “experienced” determined? Please answer the following questions.

When did test out originally?
How many jobs have you ran?
In general, what were they?
When was the last time you ran a job?

Asked and answered months ago.

Because it’s not about running a Multicam. It’s about running our Multicam and following some rules so the machine is usable for everyone. For example, if you cut into the spoilboards you’re off the machine indefinitely.

We spent years fighting issues with the spoilboards constantly destroyed. They’d get fixed and literally the next day someone had cut into them. The machine was unusable more often than not and we had volunteers abandoning the effort to keep up with it.

It took a long time and a not-unsubstantial amount of money to get the bed repaired and very level. Team Multicam is not doing it again.

If you have your own CNC, why are you chomping at the bit to use DMS’? Exceeded your business capacity?

4 Likes

I’m in.
I tested in Feb 2019 and ran around 5ish jobs before Covid hit and then I didn’t come back until recently.
The jobs were mainly signs and simple things.
The last time I ran a job was 2019/early 2020 can’t remember exactly as I got a new PC and didn’t have any of my old projects.

My current projects are small pieces for wooden toy trains and cars. I haven’t taken the Shapeoko course but is that better for small projects now? It wasn’t available when I last used the Multicam.

I now have vCarve v11.0 on my new machine.

cop out. one of first cnc rules is to set limit switches or soft limits. cnc 101

and all the time that u spend on cnc. bunch of martyrs. to what objective? so no one can use tool? and btw, u use the machine to level, takes about 30 minutes, and if this is confusing, think about how slab mill works.

my -Z soft limit just stops the carriage from running past the end of the rails, it doesn’t stop me from milling into anything.

isn’t that the way it usually set up?
I have safe heights, keep out zones, & workholding fixtures set up in CAM. The control software just checks to see if the moves are within the axis travels, otherwise the machine stops.

Absolute and complete horseshit. The damage to the machine spoke for itself. It happened despite limit switches and soft limits.

I’ll be honest and say that your cavalier and condescending attitude is a big part of why nobody is in a rush to help you.

1 Like

The way it was taught before clearly didn’t work. Spoilboards had guitar bodies milled into them, etc. Spoilboards would get replaced and be destroyed the next day.

Had two LITERAL fires in the woodshop caused by misuse and failure to follow guidelines taught VERY clearly in classes, both of which caused extensive damage to the Multicam and very possible loss of DMS itself.

What people need to understand is that spoilboards (in a shared environment) aren’t for “spoiling.”

At least 50% of users claimed their “bit slipped.” Complete bullshit if they torqued it properly. Perhaps a training problem. I watched people trying to torque their bits with a wrench in each hand, one of which was 8” long. You can’t apply enough torque by hand with an 8” wrench in one hand.

I’d definitely like to jump in and say let’s keep this civil. I am surely a bit discouraged by the challenge to both figure out the pathway to getting certified as well as the likelihood to meet the potential new criteria and get someone to check me off on the list of certified people. I didnt start this conversation at an organization we pay for that is completely sustained by volunteering to start tearing the place down in frustration so lets keep our cool here.

There are obviously some good reasons based on bad experiences that keep this machine closely protected and I don’t want the whole community to lose it to communication breakdown.

3 Likes

Honestly, at this point the issues of lack of access, no training to allow access, repeated issues when training/use was available, etc makes me start to think that the Multicam needs to be moved out.

Yes, as in sold off. The floor space, maintenance & repair budget, and volunteer efforts can be reallocated to equipment that can be used by members and maintained by volunteers without accusations of gatekeeping or burnout by volunteers laboring to keep up with untrained or uncaring users.

It doesn’t matter if a piece if equipment supposedly attracts new members if it’s never available. It has been literally years since there was a reasonable training path for new user access, with regular “discussions” on how the new training will be set up, implemented, etc.

Basically it boils down to step up and actually train people to USE the equipment properly, and if that can’t/won’t happen in a reasonable timeframe (WELL before the end of 2024) then get the damn thing out of the wood shop.

Addendum: Please note this is NOT meant as a put down or disrespect to the volunteers who have put in countless hours trying, possibly in vain, to keep the CNC running. I’m just stating that this particular piece of equipment may simply be one that DMS is not able to keep in a functioning, useable state with the resources and training we are capable of applying to the issues involved.

3 Likes

We just need people to start caring and stop acting like customers that are entitled to do whatever they want because they pay $60 per month and fail to sweep their crap from the woodshop floor.

1 Like

You might be right. It hasn’t been opened up enough to know and that’s definitely a problem.

But if it goes how we think it will, it’s a lost cause. Of all of the abused tools it took more damage than any or all.

1 Like