Multicam alignment when changing bits

Hello I was wondering how I can change drill bits and have the perfect alignment every time. The laser was the way I would do it before but since it’s broken I have no clue how to change a drill bit and keep the alignment the same

What’s your process for changing bits?

Mine is

1. Remove old bit
  2. Clean collet/spindle/nut with air
  3. Install new bit
  4. Set surface
  5. Set Max Depth
  6. Run next file

I don’t set the home position when I change bits, only once at the start of my job.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about that I’m setting the home every time I change bits

Yeah, that’s what’s causing your issues.

When we set the home, we’re setting the center of the spindle to (0,0) on our work. The good news is that changing the tool doesn’t change the center of the spindle, so no need to set a new home.

2 Likes

Awesome man Tks for your help

You should set the “job home” (multicam calls it the soft home) once for every job. If you do it more than that, your 0,0 location will change, resulting in inaccurate cuts.

The “Hard home” is poorly named, and completely different function. Hard homing re-indexes the gantry to the table by locating physical index points on the table and resetting the stepper motors zero point. It has nothing to do with job home.

I recommend frequently hard homing, especially if anything at all out of the ordinary happens, like a dragged bit, broken bit, or bumped gantry. This will keep the relationship between the table and your job home (soft home) the same throughout the job. I hard home on every bit change, and anytime at all that I feel the cut was less than optimal.

1 Like