Multcam nuts meeting Friday 1/28/22

I found several that sell for around $250. I think for a smaller person, or someone with limited mobility, they could be the ticket. We could have a really nice cheater pipe for them without worry of the wrench being destroyed.

BTW, I didn’t know about them either until I was discussing options with our manufacturing guru, @Photomancer one day.

1 Like

This won’t happen- 1/8” bits are commonly used.

If we need 1/8" collets we should plan for an adjustable wrench that can be set wrong or get two wrenches and pick the wrong one. I can’t think of a way to make it mistake proof

A starting point is color code the wrenches, or place a colored band that is etched with the size on each wrench. Maybe the wrenches will also be different lengths.

1 Like

How to mistake proof matching the collet nut to the wrench: Color code the Nut on the outside and match to proper colored wrench. This should eliminate most mistakes.

True mistake proofing would only allow the a specific wrench to fit on a specific nut.

1 Like

I think a wrench that breaks over in a very obvious way is fine. No need to have it spin free. We just need more than tactile feedback - it should be obvious and visible to the user or anyone observing that the torque has been reached. A 45 degree break would be awesome and completely sufficient.

I talked to one of the guys in our factory in Arkansas, they have 6,700 tools in their calibration system.
He recommended

Model 810013

We could get two, one set at 24nm and the other at 32nm and put an extension handle on it

I should get an email from the local rep today and ill see if they have a demo kit they could bring in

1 Like

Thanks for checking, but I just reviewed the details and this is the same tech as we have been using. Your factory has highly skilled workers who are both trained on the wrenches and use them for hours each day. They are also backed by a quality assurance team to catch failures. All we have to catch user failures is our table top.

Since our users are both infrequent and lightly trained, they need more than just the same old simple click. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that is why most everyone was excited about the two other wrench designs. One breaking over 1/2" or better and the other ratcheting freely.

I’m not sure a demo of any of these is that worth while. All of us in this discussion know torque wrenches, and could use any of them. But our issue to be addressed is the casual user that doesn’t use them regularly or has never really been exposed to them. We are back to the seventh grade shop level user.

I’ve only used click style torque wrenches. Came across this video discussing 3 types of torque wrenches.

A local sales rep from Sturtevant Richmont will bring a few styles of torque wrenches Tuesday Feb 8 at 11:30am

With slip clutch style we would probably need an offset 24mm wrench head to get the wrench lined up with the handle. I haven’t seen those yet but somebody probably makes them

These have been sourced, although lowest price vendor needs to be secured.

https://belknaptools.com/crowfoot-adapters/

Any word on when we can order bits?

Randy,
I have visited their website and only see the click(same type as we have) and digital torque wrenches. I didn’t find the clutched type torque wrenches we are looking for? Do they sell them?

-B

I don’t know what all they sell or if the distributor who is also coming has other options. Our factory is very loud and we have very high turnover so training is a bigger issue there than what we deal with here.

That Belknaptools website also had this one that has a big throw that looks interesting. Could they bring one in to look at?
https://belknaptools.com/preset-torque-wrenches/maxi-break-interchangeable-drive-preset-torque-wrenches/

I don’t remember how much clearance there is between the flats on the router spindle and the motor case. We would want to check that to see if there is clearance for a straight wrench head on a clutch style torque wrench. It looks pretty tight clearance to me from this picture I took last week
I also don’t like the idea of the wrench head not being inline with the handle so I was picturing a Z shaped wrench head for the clutch style torque wrenches rather than a standard straight extension.

Without a doubt we have a goofy use case all around. I was thinking that some wrenches might have to be used upside down. If they have a protruding head that would most likely be the case.

I spoke to the belknaptool guy this afternoon and he doesn’t have a wrench solution. He does make the crows foot wrenches for around $130 or so. It seems he has a bit of latitude as to how long they can be made. This might help us get the wrench head out from under the spindle housing.

I was really hoping to do fretboards. I don’t want to have to find a 0.6mm end mill with a 1/4" shank.

I also use 1/8" in order to clean-up inside corners. Most of the time I have a strong dislike for the whole dog-bone thing. Unless there is some unusual reason we discover, I fully expect there to be 1/8" collets available. With that said, once an end mill is spun inside a collet, usually the result of incorrect torquing of the nut, that collet has been compromised. Any scratches incurred due the spinning tool can scratch the next tool inserted. With this in mind, if a member invests in an expensive end mill, they may want to purchase a matching collet. We hope to procure a source of industrial grade, not tool room grade, collets for members.

Our current goal is to provide quality torque wrenches, a quality collet nut, some industrial grade, general use(at your own risk) collets in 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" sizes.

1 Like

Alright. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks.

Reminder in case anyone wants to see torque wrenches

2 Likes