Moving Personal Storage Bins to

Current “plan” is to keep 11-12 columns (~4 units?) of the tall units along the ELab boundary - from the 3’ x 17’ off set down to the white cabinets. Currently those units clear the sprinkler heads.

@BarkingChicken

We can talk about it but putting it out there that I’m against it. How exactly would you divvy those up? The only space we would have that hasn’t already been spoken for or planned out would be up above things which would require the use of a ladder. They are already in a space, why move them?

This was brought up in the last BoD / Expansion Mtng
When brought up, several members didn’t like the “cave” and ok’d it being moved.
There were never any plans to have all of the bins located in the “cave”.
Someone jumped the gun on this.
Other reasons are at the start of this thread.

That’s almost exactly the way I’ve been managing my tracking/auditing!!!
bin-config.pdf (61.0 KB)
But when I’ve tried to convince long-time members that it should become a standard “thing”, I am repeatedly told that we can’t do that.

Yet you were the one fussing at Pearce’s first Logistics meeting about whether you could add permanent backer board so you could finish setting up the ELab.
Hmmmm.

1 Like

I prefer them in one location - partly because we tend to use them like mailboxes and partly because the camera/security is better when it’s centralized.

I don’t care where. Worst case, if we work really hard to put it in the furthest corner, the maximum walk is 400 feet. I’m probably the only one, but I could use the exercise.

8 Likes

I hear there is a nearby location where we can rent storage lockers, we could put all the bins there and then its just a short 5 minute drive to access your bin (past a couple locks and only during ~daylight hours).

2 Likes

That would be to backs of the Elab benches - not the storage units.

Idea seems to run counter the “DMS Austerity” project you’re working on.

1 Like

I’d vote for at least some of them more centralized. I mainly hang in ca and it’s annoying to just go grab something out of my bin that far away.

As far as exercise…yeah, I get it. And think that’s great.

BUT, for me personally, I’ve been dealing with tendonitis in my knee for a year that is bad enough that I have canceled plans going to the space because of how much walking to get in the new door and all the way to the far end with ca. Some days are fine, some aren’t. If I time it right I can use the old door, but then there’s steps and the tendonitis is actually better with distance than steps.

The point being is if I am having an ok day to get into the space, but not great, adding walking from far end and back just to retrieve something from my bin, it’s a lot of extra steps. And I just don’t.

Things are FINALLY getting better with my knee, but good/bad days are unpredictable.

Even without my current mobility issue, the more central location for at least some bins would be awesome.

Anyway, I know it’s not all about me, but since the question was asked, that’s my two cents. Well, less, but here ya go :slight_smile:

Random idea, feel free to shoot down:
Is the old ca room usage set in stone? Like maybe part classroom, part bins? Maybe not for all the bins, but maybe central there and another spot out in the warehouse?

well, you made ME chuckle.

3 Likes

I would suggest the new galley with the bathroom right off of it. It is “pretty much” dead center of the building and is “currently” not being used, as far as I know .

What about against the walls in the wet classroom?

I can only hope that you meant this facetiously. Because – oh, no. Hades, no. Don’t tempt me to make physical threats against you in a public forum.

Has the possibility of multiple locations been considered?? I don’t really have a problem with where it is but it may become a bit more of a security problem. IDK.

That is not going to become a galley now. It is officially the “wet classroom”.
And the common room is more “dead center”.

Wherever they may end up camera coverage will not be a concern

3 Likes

Agree. I’m happy to have one and wherever they wind up is cool with me.

True, but having bins spread over several different areas would complicate oversight.

IMHO, bins in several areas could also make tracking bin usage more complicated for Logistics. That’s their call, though.

1 Like